Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GPU "Output Slaves" Patches Posted

Phoronix: New GPU "Output Slaves" Patches Posted

David Airlie has posted his latest set of 31 patches as he works to enable new features in the aging X.Org Server code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You really are shameless, Michael.

I know you have your eyes on xorg-devel. So do I. But I don't orgasm about every single patch set before it even gets an ack or review.

Comment

I just wanna know if this helps Optimus any bit. I'm guessing 'no' because that would be too awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
        I just wanna know if this helps Optimus any bit. I'm guessing 'no' because that would be too awesome.
        It does actually. On many Optimus machines, HDMI-out is connected only to the Nvidia card. This allows you to use it by using the Nvidia card as an output slave.

Of course the main thing people want from Optimus is using the Nvidia card as an offload slave. But that too will be part of xrandr 1.5, and I'm sure there will immediately be an article here at Phoronix once new patches for that get posted

Comment

Just a bad Example

I'm gonna give a bad example, but, to me, the "Optimus - Linux" situation is like the "Playstation 3 Hack" situation... many years of nothing, and then the big boom xD

Now more seriously, this guy is making a great job, and if I could help him I already had done that for sure !

(Just a user hoping to use the Nvidia of his Asus 1215N even with nouveau )

Comment

Originally posted by aliasbody View Post
            I'm gonna give a bad example, but, to me, the "Optimus - Linux" situation is like the "Playstation 3 Hack" situation... many years of nothing, and then the big boom xD

Now more seriously, this guy is making a great job, and if I could help him I already had done that for sure !

(Just a user hoping to use the Nvidia of his Asus 1215N even with nouveau )
            You can help him. Buy Red Hat operating system licenses and support contracts.

Dave's a Red Hat employee, so you support his employer, he keeps a job, we keep getting the goods. It's easy.

Dave is the man. It's hard to fathom but I think he's been getting more productive over the years that I've seen him contributing. In his shoes I'd probably get burned out; but he's doing the opposite, and getting even more code out the door now than before. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              You can help him. Buy Red Hat operating system licenses and support contracts.

Dave's a Red Hat employee, so you support his employer, he keeps a job, we keep getting the goods. It's easy.

Dave is the man. It's hard to fathom but I think he's been getting more productive over the years that I've seen him contributing. In his shoes I'd probably get burned out; but he's doing the opposite, and getting even more code out the door now than before. Wow.
              I was talking about code, but that can do it too xD

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                That is what I like to see; more support for actual developers and less trolling.

Comment

This is excellent news!

Since my company doesn't use RHEL, and I'm just a lone user who would like to support Mr. Arlie, does anybody know if there's a "Buy an X-dev a beer" page?

Perhaps I could get a kickstarter project going to set up such a page...

Comment

What can I say? Dave you are my hero!

Comment

Working...
                    X