Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by its-techs View Post
    He was.
    Only when asked by multiple people on the forum did he reveal any info about how he got the quote.

He has his own discretion, which I think was executed properly in this case? You can start your own news site anytime you like and then at that point you can utilize your own discretion.
    I disagreed and am perfectly in my right to voice such disagreement. Yes I could start my own news site, or I could make suggestions to one that already exists in order to help improve it. You can also do as you did and voice your disagreement with my opinion, I see nothing wrong here.

I don't know about any of that. What I do know is that this report is absolutely correct.
    And I don't doubt your word or his, now that he and you provided backstory to the quote, all I ask is that in the future we don't need a long winded forum discussion in order to find this info. This sort of thing is exactly what I mean when I say "be upfront about his sources." That said we still don't know what sort of position this Jammy Zhou holds, is he a project lead, or manager or is he just some guy from the mail-room. That sort of info is vital for the reader to be able to assess the validity of the story, especially if the reader cannot access the quote themselves as in this case.

Comment

we still don't know what sort of position this Jammy Zhou holds, is he a project lead, or manager or is he just some guy from the mail-room. That sort of info is vital for the reader to be able to assess the validity of the story, especially if the reader cannot access the quote themselves as in this case.
      Well, I could tell you but I'd have to kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        of course is it my money
        Your hardware investment does not give you any right over other people's freedom of choice regarding licenses. Again, for you to rant in a cultist fashion about how radeon should be the only driver choice or the only driver project is completely absurd and shows the ass view of the radeon movement.

What will happen is that radeon will be judged from a technical standpoint by the users, when they run their games or benchmarks, and THAT will be the yardstick by which it lives or dies; in other words how it measures up to Fgrlx, and not rants by radeon cultists. Competition in other words. Right now it isn't even on the same planet with Fgrlx and everybody knows that. That's why radeon advocates A) dislike benchmarks B) question their validity C)question their importance. It's a denial of reality.

Comment

You do know that calling people Fascists and Cultists does not really endear you to anyone and makes you sound like another disparaging derogatory word that begins with an "a"?

Seriously, if you have a point make it, but do not call people out for voicing theirs and do not tell people what to do. Or you could also be just as legitimately called the same derogatory word starting with "f" that you like to bandy about.

Comment

Your hardware investment does not give you any right over other people's freedom of choice regarding licenses. Again, for you to rant in a cultist fashion about how radeon should be the only driver choice or the only driver project is completely absurd and shows the ass view of the radeon movement.
            I dont talk about people, I dont say I pay a company and want from 3rd party private people to do some work, I mean I would be glad if some 3rd party PEOPLE would do that, but I cant demand that.

But its here something, else I talk about a company, and it goes about my freedom of choice. I never said that they should kill the fglrx driver now or in near future, I said it should be clear that in the long run, the radeon driver is the more important one, and thats just logical if you spend many (more than now) resources to make the radeon better and bring in in speed to 90-99% of the fglrx in a few years (let it be 5 years) and in every other aspect than better like some stuff is even today (stability, portability, more features, faster more complete support of the latest xorg-stack-magic like newest randr support...) than at some point it would be clear that it would be stupid to spend much resources to a fglrx that is not that good or at least even good, it would be a waste of time then to support 2 drivers.

Because closed source driver in it selve is just a disadvantage, only that the driver is older and faster and maybe here and there a feature more is today a advantage, but the unfreeness in it self is no advantage its just a disadvantage.

and one thing is also clear as better the radeon driver gets, the more 3rd party distributors come in.because more people will use it, and some of them will then help out in bug reports but also in writing maybe some small stuff...

Comment

Basically it is unlikely that you will see a performance explosion within a product lifecycle. And after that it is considered legacy and the work is shifted towards new products for initial support. Hopefully some basic things like proper powermanagement will be implemented soon as the oss drivers do not seem to be good enough for mobile systems. Some chips get way too hot and default energy consumption is too high - sometimes you might be able to tune that, but that should be default. The discussions about uvd parts should have shown you already that it is very unlikely that you get video decode accelleration anytime in the future for "older" chips, maybe for some parts in the future. In that way intel has got a much better oss stack for htpc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                You do know that calling people Fascists and Cultists does not really endear you
                Your concern about my circle of friends is touching, but I will relieve you of that burden right now; it's not your problem. More poignantly however, on a forum site filled with f-bombs, insults to intelligence, and a sm?rg?sbord of other types of personal negative adjectives, you home in on the two words that disturbed you more than anything else. It's a tell; that the content of the message is driving home, even to the self-decievers. So it's alot like Linus Torvalds quipped recently in his recent Aaltos University interview. Matter of fact, my outlook on this can be summed up pretty exactly by Torvald's response to a questioner from the audience.

"I like that people take me seriously, but at the same time, I refuse to then let that mean that I don't say what I mean. I mean, I've always wanted to be very honest in my statements, I use strong language on the internet, to the point where some people feel offended, and that's their problem."
                ".....But I also actually believe that when you work with alot of people, it's better to be really open about your feelings so that you don't have people who buy me steak misread you. Uh, I've had that happen; I have literally had developers who were working on things that I didn't really like, but I didn't shut down early enough; they worked on it for a long time; they felt that it was ready, they submitted it to me, ah, and I said no this is horrible; because at that point I had to make a decision. And ah, in at least one of those cases I had some other friends basically email me later and saying, the guy is suicidal."
                Last edited by its-techs; 21 June 2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Your concern about my circle of friends is touching, but I will relieve you of that burden right now; it's not your problem. More poignantly however, on a forum site filled with f-bombs, insults to intelligence, and a sm?rg?sbord of other types of personal negative adjectives, you home in on the two words that disturbed you more than anything else. It's a tell; that the content of the message is driving home, even to the self-decievers. So it's alot like Linus Torvalds quipped recently in his recent Aaltos University interview. Matter of fact, my outlook on this can be summed up pretty exactly by Torvald's response to a questioner from the audience.

"I like that people take me seriously, but at the same time, I refuse to then let that mean that I don't say what I mean. I mean, I've always wanted to be very honest in my statements, I use strong language on the internet, to the point where some people feel offended, and that's their problem."
                  ".....But I also actually believe that when you work with alot of people, it's better to be really open about your feelings so that you don't have people who buy me steak misread you. Uh, I've had that happen; I have literally had developers who were working on things that I didn't really like, but I didn't shut down early enough; they worked on it for a long time; they felt that it was ready, they submitted it to me, ah, and I said no this is horrible; because at that point I had to make a decision. And ah, in at least one of those cases I had some other friends basically email me later and saying, the guy is suicidal."
                  it seems to be the public relations department

Comment

Working...
                  X