Valve Picks Up Another Key Linux Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larian View Post
    I'd like to take this time to ask these folks to be sure they get their whole head in front of the shotgun. No sense in doing a half-assed job.
    ROFL. This would definitely make those people a little more 'open-minded'

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      My only issue was how michael kept trumpeting that it was "official" when it was clear from the start that he was getting very unofficial information that could have been reversed at any time.
      Indeed. But the sticking point here is the use of the word "official". Michael was pretty clearly (at least to me), using a looser, colloquial version of the word intended to indicate that he was completely convinced, not that there was a document written in stone and signed with baby's blood. Even his constant reiteration was indicative (again, to me), that there was fairly regular communication with his source that kept telling him nice things.

Maybe that's why he got invited to Valve H.Q.? Sort of an apology for the shitstorm that got stirred up by the naysayers? The media response to "There's no Steam client for Linux that we're working on right now" (emphasis mine) was as comical as it was thick-headed. Maybe they shouldn't hire Op-Ed writers who know English as a third language.

Comment

the breaking of this story wasn't based on anything but Phoronix trying to generate revenue and lying (?) to the community.
        It wasn't any lies at all, as you seen it all proved out... Sometimes companies are more willing to provide off the record comments and other information than they will publicly confirm directly to their customers, etc.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          It wasn't any lies at all, as you seen it all proved out... Sometimes companies are more willing to provide off the record comments and other information than they will publicly confirm directly to their customers, etc.
          Egad ... what a tragic quote selection! LOL! I've been frustrated by the naysayers for the past two years. I've got logs...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            The it is the articles authors duty to make it clear that this is the case, like IDK, mentioning in the article how one got the info. If they intended it to be "off the record" then I expect to see that in the article, not "valve officially confirms X." It is intentionally missleading and wrong, it may not be a lie so to speak but it isn't much better. Want people to pay for Phoronix pro like they do for other professional news outlets then start acting like a professional news outlet and stop purposfully misleading your readers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
              The it is the articles authors duty to make it clear that this is the case, like IDK, mentioning in the article how one got the info. If they intended it to be "off the record" then I expect to see that in the article, not "valve officially confirms X." It is intentionally missleading and wrong, it may not be a lie so to speak but it isn't much better. Want people to pay for Phoronix pro like they do for other professional news outlets then start acting like a professional news outlet and stop purposfully misleading your readers.
              I was able to pick that up from the context of the very first announcement. More importantly, there is a big difference between "I misunderstood the article" and "I was misled by the article." As I said earlier, Michael's use of the word "official" was colloquial, and all it ever meant in that context was that he was totally convinced. He NEVER said "Valve officially confirms X" to the best of my knowledge. He has always made it clear that he was getting inside information from an unnamed source at the company.

You and those of like mind manufactured this demon for yourselves. He writes stuff, we read it, and those with poor reading comprehension twist everything into some fucked up mess and demand to be compensated in their quaint little entitled way. Revisionist history soon follows.

Besides, what are you bitching about? Steam is coming to Linux! Be happy you churlish toad!
              Last edited by Larian; 20 June 2012, 12:51 AM.

Comment

I was able to pick that up from the context of the very first announcement. More importantly, there is a big difference between "I misunderstood the article" and "I was misled by the article." As I said earlier, Michael's use of the word "official" was colloquial, and all it ever meant in that context was that he was totally convinced. He NEVER said "Valve officially confirms X" to the best of my knowledge. He has always made it clear that he was getting inside information from an unnamed source at the company.

You and those of like mind manufactured this demon for yourselves. He writes stuff, we read it, and those with poor reading comprehension twist everything into some fucked up mess and demand to be compensated in their quaint little entitled way. Revisionist history soon follows.

Besides, what are you bitching about? Steam is coming to Linux! Be happy you churlish toad!
                Right, I always thought the articles themselves were perfectly clear. It's the titles he chose that i take issue with, and that were misleading - but that's somewhat par for the course here, as I'm sure it brings in more clicks.

Anyway, i was always one of the ones who thought Michael was telling the truth, and that Valve probably would come through, in their own sweet time. I just was never sure if it would happen soon(ish), or 5 years from now.

What's really intriguing me now is all this talk about how Valve intends to do more than just port Steam, and how they are hiring all sorts of linux developers. There's all sorts of interesting things they could be doing, and i hope michael isn't hyping this up so much that we're all going to be disappointed when the reality of it finally comes out.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 20 June 2012, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Shut up, do, release and take my money already !

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    i hope michael isn't hyping this up so much that we're all going to be disappointed when the reality of it finally comes out.
                    Huh? I haven't even released all details yet, at their request.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Does anyone notice that Michael Larabel is cultivating a mythology where every day he is a little more responsible for Steam on Linux? -- Ryan C. Gordon (@icculus on twitter)

Linux gaming news - www.gamingonlinux.com

Comment

Working...
                      X