Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Picks Up Another Key Linux Developer

Phoronix: Valve Picks Up Another Key Linux Developer

Things appear to be moving along nicely in the Linux cabal at Valve Software as they work to enable Steam and the Source Engine on the Linux desktop. Here's another one of the new tenured Linux developers that will be starting soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Woohoo!!! This is like candy to my ears...I can't wait to see what these amazing folks will come up with! With Carmageddon coming to Linux next year, man this is going to be the turning point for gaming on Linux.

Comment

Linux client, please.

Comment

The force is strong with this one.

Comment

I am so happy about the steam linux support, just hoping that alot of my steam games will be playable at some point.

Comment

this is great news. hopefully this will shut up all those trolls who for some weird reason strongly don't want to believe valve is making linux client products.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              this is great news. hopefully this will shut up all those trolls who for some weird reason strongly don't want to believe valve is making linux client products.
              These people you're talking about have issues with being shown wrong. I won't name names, but they've even said that even if the Linux client materializes withing 2 years, they plan to stick to their guns like a mental patient and reiterate the breaking of this story wasn't based on anything but Phoronix trying to generate revenue and lying (?) to the community.

I'd like to take this time to ask these folks to be sure they get their whole head in front of the shotgun. No sense in doing a half-assed job.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
                These people you're talking about have issues with being shown wrong. I won't name names, but they've even said that even if the Linux client materializes withing 2 years, they plan to stick to their guns like a mental patient and reiterate the breaking of this story wasn't based on anything but Phoronix trying to generate revenue and lying (?) to the community.
                It's certainly what it looked like for the last two years. Had there been clear signs from anyone at Valve itself, rather than just Phoronix, there'd have been much less doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                  It's certainly what it looked like for the last two years. Had there been clear signs from anyone at Valve itself, rather than just Phoronix, there'd have been much less doubt.
                  What would it have looked like if someone at Valve was giving Phoronix inside information that they weren't willing to confirm publicly?

Really, I'd probably agree with you if it weren't for all the Linux references in their games and the pre-alpha build of a native client.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
                    What would it have looked like if someone at Valve was giving Phoronix inside information that they weren't willing to confirm publicly?

Really, I'd probably agree with you if it weren't for all the Linux references in their games and the pre-alpha build of a native client.
                    My only issue was how michael kept trumpeting that it was "official" when it was clear from the start that he was getting very unofficial information that could have been reversed at any time.

Comment

Working...
                    X