No announcement yet.

Valve Picks Up Another Key Linux Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any regular should know that by now it's all about maximizing page views by linking to related articles...
    Read, Michael doesn't actually care about the articles content, he's just in it for the money.

Michael, here's a hint write better articles with actual content and you'll get more regular readers and thus more pageviews. I know you think spamming links to past articles gets you more page views, but here's a hint it doesn't do as much as actually taking the time to research and write actual articles with actual content. You would have more regulars and more page views if you wrote fewer but more thought provoking and relevant articles. This habit of posting 5 useless linkspam articles a day for nothing other than the page views is rather pathetic. You could have spent that time expanding on one of the real articles making them more insightful or useful to the reader. On a related note, those "well nothing has changed" articles like your reasent PowerVR graphics need to stop, a lack of news on a subject is not news so don't waste your time with it.

EDIT: To the people saying they like the ease of reading related posts, he already has a related posts box below the article, this is just link spam, especially because there have been plenty of times where he has linked to completely unrelated articles numerous times within articles.
    Last edited by Jonimus; 20 June 2012, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
      Read, Michael doesn't actually care about the articles content, he's just in it for the money.

Michael, here's a hint write better articles with actual content and you'll get more regular readers and thus more pageviews. I know you think spamming links to past articles gets you more page views, but here's a hint it doesn't do as much as actually taking the time to research and write actual articles with actual content. You would have more regulars and more page views if you wrote fewer but more thought provoking and relevant articles. This habit of posting 5 useless linkspam articles a day for nothing other than the page views is rather pathetic. You could have spent that time expanding on one of the real articles making them more insightful or useful to the reader. On a related note, those "well nothing has changed" articles like your reasent PowerVR graphics need to stop, a lack of news on a subject is not news so don't waste your time with it.

EDIT: To the people saying they like the ease of reading related posts, he already has a related posts box below the article, this is just link spam, especially because there have been plenty of times where he has linked to completely unrelated articles numerous times within articles.
      Where could we go to get a sample of your journalism for comparison? I, for one, would love to read your assuredly thought provoking viewpoints and flowing prose. Indeed, if your comments above are a reliable metric of your linguistic abilities and mastery of the English language, your professional work must be truly jaw-dropping.

Comment

Lack of news like the recent PowerVR part are absolutely news. Without them all you'd have is blog posts from three years ago saying it doesn't work.

No authoritative source for the current state for those who don't actively follow the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
          Where could we go to get a sample of your journalism for comparison? I, for one, would love to read your assuredly thought provoking viewpoints and flowing prose. Indeed, if your comments above are a reliable metric of your linguistic abilities and mastery of the English language, your professional work must be truly jaw-dropping.
          You don't have to be a journalist to demand more from your news sources.

Also note how I'm not just blindly saying Michael sucks, I am giving suggestions on how to improve. I may not be a journalist but I can see money grubbing sensationalism when it appears.

If you think I am linguistic ability then please step up and provide suggestions, I am all ears.

As for needing an "authoritative source" fine I'll give you that but if you want phoronix to be considered a reliable source for any sort of info I'd expect Michael to provide third party sources where his info could be double checked once in a while, you know, like how other news outlets operate.

Comment

If you think I am linguistic ability then please step up and provide suggestions, I am all ears.
            I believe I understand what you're trying to say, but that doesn't stop it from being funny (I do not think you are linguistic ability, I promise). Also, the comma should be a semicolon as this sentence contains two independent ideas, or the second idea should be contained in its own sentence.

*hands Jonimus a beer*

Comment

These people you're talking about have issues with being shown wrong. I won't name names, but they've even said that even if the Linux client materializes withing 2 years, they plan to stick to their guns like a mental patient and reiterate the breaking of this story wasn't based on anything but Phoronix trying to generate revenue and lying (?) to the community.

I'd like to take this time to ask these folks to be sure they get their whole head in front of the shotgun. No sense in doing a half-assed job.
              Yes!

Everybody who doesn't expect Valve games on Linux soon MUST DIE!

While it would be funny to see it materialise, in a Duke Nukem Forever way, how many years has it been?

Comment

I believe I understand what you're trying to say, but that doesn't stop it from being funny (I do not think you are linguistic ability, I promise). Also, the comma should be a semicolon as this sentence contains two independent ideas, or the second idea should be contained in its own sentence.

*hands Jonimus a beer*
                Ahh, yes that is what I get for trying to compose a post on my phone while at work, I did make a mess of that sentance didn't I?

But in all seriousness while michael has gotten better at linking to mailing list threads and commit logs the lack of source links or even something more than a name drop in most of his articles leave many wondering if he should be believed. We all know he likes to stretch the truth I just ask he give us some way to attempt to verify his claims when possible. If he cannot then he should think twice before posting, otherwise it is just hurting his credability. It doesn't matter if he ends up being right or wrong, the issue is he rarely if ever gives the reader any backing other than his word that his claims are founded in fact.

Comment

I'd say that's just Valve being Valve. Look at how long they kept the Mac client under their hats before going public with an ad campaign. But more than that, we've got code in our Steam directories specifically looking for a $uname "Linux", we've got screenshots of an in-house client running L4D2, we've got the way early alpha build of a steam client found on Valve's servers, and we've got Gabe Newell himself answering e-mails saying we should expect something by year's end. All this amounts to an incredibly convincing pile of circumstantial evidence. They've definitely left us a trail of breadcrumbs.
                  Well said.

Actually it's rather exciting. Valve don't often do things the "usual way" like many companies. Keeping it low and doing things a little cheeky and quietly before finally revealing something certainly sounds like Valve to me.

Comment

Michael, here's a hint write better articles with actual content and you'll get more regular readers and thus more pageviews.
                    Hey, buzz off. He's doing what he's doing for a living, and pretty well I might add. I just dropped Windows after so many years of trying to suffer Visual Studio and MSBuild, went back to Linux after a 16 year absence. Primarily due to this guy breaking the Valve story, as it adjusted my thinking of what is possible for a game developer on Linux. Although on secondary analysis, I'm glad Desura is already here, just in case Valve goes <poof>. Let's not forget that Valve isn't blazing a trail. They're making sure they don't get left out. Anyways if he loses some readers like you and gains some readers like me, I'm all for it. He's accessible and findable on the internet, which is more than I can say for some needle-in-a-haystack web search problems I've had, going up this Linux learning curve (again).

Comment

Working...
                    X