Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 166

Thread: NVIDIA PR Responds To Torvalds' Harsh Words

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
    I say WOW again because the people in the Linux community acts like a religious fanatic in a way that everything should be open source. I use Linux on a daily basis with mixture of open source and closed source programs and drivers, it works well and gives the best of both worlds. I tired of the Linux community because there are too many religious fanatics that say open source good, close source bad, and Linus Travolds good to bow to. Sheesh people go get a brain, so you be your own individual because sounds like a broken record.
    Linus is a opensource guy, he even said if someone would like to build laser sharks and use linux there he would be glad. he is the oposite of a fanatic, but if something in linux as system should be opensource its drivers. you can maybe install 1000 photoshops (if they would be there) nobody would say against adobe anything. but its stupid, and they fail you bring examples where they do no vdpau etc to try to keep up with such a big commnity like the kernel devs, the linux kernel changes year for year faster and more commits come in each year, and it grows fast... and like we seen they even now fail with it. you gave the examples and the optimus example is another one where they just not where be able to do that, with the manpower they have for linux. and its even worse they dont try to keep up alone with the kernel devs they replace half of the xserver so they dont have to support the newest extentions like kms and so on...

    where should that end next time they bring theyr own commercial xserver with it because they are tired of the xorg api changes? where is wayland support when will it come in 1000 years? I see the next ubuntu rts where wayland is then preinstalled as default displayserver and when you want to use the nvidia blob you have to install the old xserver *omg*

    again, you can call somebody fanatic when he says mono and java programms are not free people even I somewhat agree a bit here but I am a bit of fanatic at least in your eyes, but linus is that not, he just used for his project the gpl lisence the kernel and now somebody tries to make "plugins" to kind of fork his kernel to a closed source blob (what would so if you see it that way would be illigal) so the workaround this way a legal forbitten way.

    And even here linus would like I know his words not be to bad mannered about this trick and about this driver, if they would give out some specs and reakt not when they want to, and jmust let some people some of their customers sit in the shit with their hardware like this optimus stuff was. because they think hmm onl xy count of users of our customers have such a setup, fuck it you get never in 1000 years from us even a closed source driver.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    You are a fucking moron for defending a company that clearly doesn't give a shit about Linux and that hinders development. Fuck off.
    Are you losing your mind or something?! seriously?

    you did read the part where he said;

    As for nVIDIA, they told many useless words. What a worthless company.
    ...right?

    I think you need to calm down/relax, asdx. I didn't get the impression he was 'defending' them. He goes on about patents, and then calls nvidia a 'worthless company'.

    My advice - chill the @#$% out - or go and fork linux like you were talking about before and write your own damn OpenGL 4.2 drivers that are competitive and/or better than Nvidia's *nix drivers.

    Personally, while nvidia's development in linux, may not be ideal (far from it, at least in terms of working with OSS developers) they still make a kickass driver that is arguably the best video driver available for linux.

    what are you going to do next, tell me to go fuck myself, like you own this forum, because i am a happy nvidia user?

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    If the nvidia driver was open source your vdpau problem would most probably already be fixed and you wouldn't have had to wait for years even for xrandr support. If the flash plugin was open source the color palette switching problem with vdpau would be fixed already. Closed Source software is good for a company to protect whatever "secret" knowledge they need to protect but it is bad for everybody else.
    Well, at least there is a simple work around. patch VDPAU and run your browser with 'VDPAU_TRACE=1 yourbrowser'.

    VDPAU/Flash works fine here, has since the first time i saw 'blue skin on youtube' and fixed it. Sure it is a hack, but at least it works and only took all of about 2 minutes to fix. ~ and i have an Nvidia employee to thank for this

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
    I say WOW again because the people in the Linux community acts like a religious fanatic in a way that everything should be open source.
    Nice strawman, astroturf.

    Open the specs to help independent developers improve nouveau and support features Nvidia doesn't want to. Plugging a closed-source blob into a fast-changing open-source kernel is difficult, and if Nvidia wants to waste time on doing this, they are welcome to, but there's no reason not to release specs so other people can work on a free driver.

    I tired of the Linux community because there are too many religious fanatics that say open source good, close source bad, and Linus Travolds good to bow to.
    Goodbye!

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    I like to be able to do whatever the fuck I want to do on MY COMPUTER, which is to fucking compute whatever I want it to. nVidia SUCKS because they sell hardware that CAN'T BE PROGRAMMED to do what I WOULD WANT IT TO DO.

    It's like "Here's your brand new Ferrari, sir. Nope you can't drive it yourself. OMG freedom fanatic little kid! It's better than a Volkswagen Golf, moron! Ferrari has the right to stay in controll of the Ferrari because it's a company!"

    Do you realise how dumb defending nVidia sounds?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    nVidia SUCKS because they sell hardware that CAN'T BE PROGRAMMED to do what I WOULD WANT IT TO DO.
    Where in their literature does it say "Our hardware can be programmed to do what Vincent wants?" For that matter, what normal consumer device boasts this? Does your TV? Does your car? Your toaster? The battery charger on your phone?

    If you want hardware that you can manipulate to your every desire, here you go.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    @locovace; I can change the internals of my toaster if I damn please. It doesn't mean that I might actually want to do that, but that's not the point; I can if I damn please. I wouldn't give a shit if it was legal to reverse engineer a GeForce driver, but guess what? It's forbidden by law. That means that I'm not free to do whatever the fuck I want to do with a logical list of ones and zeros. Since nVidia didn't lobby for these laws, but doesn't specifically state on the packageing that it is illegal to figure out how it works, since they forbid me from doing it by no releasing documentation, they suck. And if I could figure it out myself I wouldn't care either, but the way that they deliver the product, they effectively forbid me figure out if it's illegal to use the card in any way other than I might be able to want.

    That's why they suck. They try their best to deliver a product that could theoretically land me in jail! If that's not the pineacle of SUCK, what is?

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locovaca View Post
    Where in their literature does it say "Our hardware can be programmed to do what Vincent wants?"
    It's a FUCKING MICROPROCESSOR.

    What do YOU expect to do with a microprocessor?

    Facepalm.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    @locovace; I can change the internals of my toaster if I damn please. It doesn't mean that I might actually want to do that, but that's not the point; I can if I damn please. I wouldn't give a shit if it was legal to reverse engineer a GeForce driver, but guess what? It's forbidden by law. That means that I'm not free to do whatever the fuck I want to do with a logical list of ones and zeros. Since nVidia didn't lobby for these laws, but doesn't specifically state on the packageing that it is illegal to figure out how it works, since they forbid me from doing it by no releasing documentation, they suck. And if I could figure it out myself I wouldn't care either, but the way that they deliver the product, they effectively forbid me figure out if it's illegal to use the card in any way other than I might be able to want.

    That's why they suck. They try their best to deliver a product that could theoretically land me in jail! If that's not the pineacle of SUCK, what is?
    Isn't clean room reverse engineering legal?

  10. #110
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I like to be able to do whatever the fuck I want to do on MY COMPUTER, which is to fucking compute whatever I want it to. nVidia SUCKS because they sell hardware that CAN'T BE PROGRAMMED to do what I WOULD WANT IT TO DO.

    It's like "Here's your brand new Ferrari, sir. Nope you can't drive it yourself. OMG freedom fanatic little kid! It's better than a Volkswagen Golf, moron! Ferrari has the right to stay in controll of the Ferrari because it's a company!"

    Do you realise how dumb defending nVidia sounds?
    This is such an awful analogy. Every car today is loaded up with closed-source, proprietary software used to drive the engine, powertrain and emission systems. And, at least in the freedom-loving USA, it is illegal for anything but the manufacturer to re-program this module.

    Without this software you can't even start your damn car.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •