NVIDIA PR Responds To Torvalds' Harsh Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talvik View Post
    Linus criticized from a Linux kernel developer point of view. He didn't say: "Fu**in' artifacts and frame drops when I'm pawning noobs in ETQW"
    The PR, as usual, gave a canned response that is only marginally related to the main issue.
    Their answer was not targeted at Linus.

Their answer was meant for clueless users who are being fed the "religious fanatics of FOSS" crap by astroturfers and who probably only want to play some games under Wine on Ubuntu.

The fact that kernel developers have a really hard time dealing with Nvidia hardware is something they don't want addressed, so they bring out the PR candy about features and products and corporate vision and progress and freedom and universal human rights. So the casual user, who blames SuSE when his blob fucks up, keeps buying the closed hardware and blaming Linus and the kernel and X devs every time he has a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
      Is that a no true Scotsman argument, or would you like to clarify the difference between a product and a project?
      "Project" is the term used for open source software where many people collaborate on it. The focus is not to market it in the best possible way and maximize monetary profits.

A "product" can also be open source, but usually it's not, and the main focus is to sell well.

Comment

nvidia suggesting bumblebee, really? x'D
        That's pathetic, I'll just buy amd, even if it has crappy drivers :@

Comment

Gone

I just removed the last Nvidia card from my systems; now running ATI and Intel with Fedora 17 out-of-the-box drivers. I get flawless 1080p video, 3D desktop and adequate light gaming. When Nvidia considers updating their attitude, I'll reconsider my opinion and recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by vertexSymphony View Post

I think you can buy laptop with Nvidia graphic card (without Optimus):

Comment

Originally posted by vertexSymphony View Post

You take the words out of my mouth.

What the hell is Nvidia trying to do. OOh there is Bumblebee, so we dont need to do anything anymore =_=!.. On my laptop, the Nvidia drivers STILL DONT work. Jockey doesn't see any Nvidia drivers and doing it manually doesn't work. Nvidia GT 520MX- Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit (session fallback mode)

FUCK YOU NVIDIA!!

Comment

Here is the Tegra2 driver for Android

Originally posted by Darkseider View Post
                nVidia is full of crap. Let's take a look at all of the Android based hardware out there on the Tegra 2 that has been forgotten about and left behind because we have NO DRIVERS for their hardware. O2X, G2X, Viewsonic GTab, etc... All we want is open drivers that can be used to implement hardware acceleration but NOOOOOO... nVidia is too engrossed in being ass hats to give us that.
                The Tegra2 driver is on Google Code listed as the GPU driver for the Motorola Xoom (as a binary of course):

I'm not a ROM developer so I don't actually know how right I am...
                Last edited by CTown; 19 June 2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I've never understood why people say the Nvidia drivers are better than the Ati drivers for Linux, I've had way more problems with Nvidia cards than Ati cards on Linux. Where did this come from?

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                    Just buy computers with Intel GPUs.
                    I got a i7 processor. There is a Intel GPU in it.

Intel? Core? i7 2670QM/2630QM

Comment

Originally posted by Jebril View Post
                      I've never understood why people say the Nvidia drivers are better than the Ati drivers for Linux, I've had way more problems with Nvidia cards than Ati cards on Linux. Where did this come from?
                      It tends to be model specific. The new cards tend to be problematic for all vendors, while the two to three generation old cards tend to work. There are always exceptions, and checking the support level before buying is always a good idea. Those that complain the loudest tend to be gamers; while they have a loud voice (partly because they are buying $300+ video cards), they represent a tiny percentage of users on any platform.

Comment

Working...
                      X