• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
    My GTX 560 does have it. Works perfect
    is that with your nouveau driver?

i'm sure a plan came together... love it all the same

Comment

and before you anti-free fanbois start whining ... the radeon firmware is non-free ... so i'm not being a free software zealot although it would be better not to use non-free firmware

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        Yeah, color me confused.

I've got my Llano HTPC running via HDMI to my 7.1 channel receiver, and the receiver is set to direct output mode (output exactly what is input without any channel-expanding algorithms), and I've got audio from MythTV on all 5 of the speakers I've got hooked up for recently recorded TV. This is running over pulse audio on MythBuntu 12.04 to an Onkyo receiver.

Or are we talking only PCM output over HDMI, in which case I can't say for sure what is and isn't working.
        Okay, well come to find out part of the problem was my TV was blocking surround sound from being passed to the receiver. After switching my configuration around to connect directly to the receiver and then pass through to the TV, OTHER devices now detect and show surround sound modes. However, Ubuntu is still being stupid.

HDMI Audio on Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't show up at all until I install fglrx (which makes sense if that is now finally working in the 3.5 kernel (Ubuntu 12.10) in the open drivers), but even after it shows up it only says "stereo". Alsamixer is useless. Speaker-test only outputs in 2 channels even after forcing it to output to every device aplay -L gave me. Pavucontrol, after installing it, allowed me to enable AC3, DTS, etc, but still showed only "stereo".

However, even though everything on Ubuntu is telling me I can only do stereo and even after those things only output stereo sound, Totem/Movie Player for whatever reason, after setting the audio to output in 5.1 in Totem's settings, and after checking those DTS etc boxes in pavucontrol, actually outputs in 5.1 now for real with no stereo trickery going on like it was doing before. So, it seems that apps have access to 5.1 sound in Ubuntu now, but all the settings panels are stupid to that fact. Maybe the audio controls in Ubuntu just don't have HDMI surround sound settings in them yet? You'd think pulseaudio would show you everything available, and that implementing that would be trivial, but it doesn't. I don't know if Totem is doing something tricky like using ALSA instead of PA for playing 5.1, or if it is using PA and for some reason PA plays it correctly but the PA front-ends are just oblivious to surround sound settings, or what. Maybe Mythbuntu's front-ends are more advanced than the stock Ubuntu frontends? I'll try Mythbuntu next...

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          Yeah, color me confused.

I've got my Llano HTPC running via HDMI to my 7.1 channel receiver, and the receiver is set to direct output mode (output exactly what is input without any channel-expanding algorithms), and I've got audio from MythTV on all 5 of the speakers I've got hooked up for recently recorded TV. This is running over pulse audio on MythBuntu 12.04 to an Onkyo receiver.

Or are we talking only PCM output over HDMI, in which case I can't say for sure what is and isn't working.
          Well Mythbuntu sure didn't work for me. I tried every device it lets you select in the sound configuration with different numbers of speakers and none of them worked. So, back to other distros. At least Totem lets me play 5.1 after configuring it in Ubuntu, not sure if any Linux games can pull the same trick Totem is doing though when most games are probably all set to the default output and can't be changed.

Comment

Working...
          X