Fedora 18 Will Preview A New Package Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    I dont said all is bad and something like that, I considerd (do still) to migrate to fedora, so I am not totaly biased against it. I got maybe a bit more aggressive when you said you are not know what you are talking about, so maybe I am wrong on some points, if I wouldnt be a discussion would be pointless because it would be a monologe and you had to listen to and maybe sometimes agree to it.

I basicly had 2 points 1. was the past problems with rpm which was there (I mean the format or I mean maybe also the package qualities and the package distribution channels) which some guy agreed to on the last site somewhere, so it was not a totaly fantasised problem. Debian was a few years ago better in quality, maybe that changed I dont know about that.
    From your example, which package and who was/is the maintainer?

Then there are some impressions I got as a migrator, I had issues I told, I dont understand that you defend the chromium-situation, why cant fedora either not write anything about chromium or link to the relative site/resource, both would be better than say there is the official (stable) thing thats totaly outdated and totaly unstable. That will happen to other newcomers too.
    See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chromium. The maintainer is Tom "Spot" Callaway who works on that effort.

I dont like this attitude, when I say something to ubuntu noobs or maybe even archlinux noobs or just people with problems and issues I dont have to degrate them each second sentence and I feel myself not personaly attacked like you seem to do.
    It is about elaboration and approach of the post although some questions are valid. The real issue is some people do not know how to formulate a good question with minimal perception. Reread your own post and see what went wrong. Regardless the distro of choice, research first before asking.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      Askfedora is the site to go for questions.
      I wish they would advertise it more.
      thanx for your hints ^^

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        From your example, which package and who was/is the maintainer?
        It is long ago like I said, in the past, when I write in the past, I dont mean 2 months ago, more like 5-7 years ago, it was not even fedora at this point, it was something like mandrake or suse (not opensuse) and maybe redhat distribution. Its in the past, so lets forget about it.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chromium. The maintainer is Tom "Spot" Callaway who works on that effort.
        I found that site, and thats the problem, only small at the last sentence there are the package I have to use, I am not used to test 3 different sources before I get what I want, or to read the complete site and look into the repositories to see what versions are installed. Maybe I am too petted by the german user wiki (ubuntuusers.de) that site/wiki is just great ^^

It is about elaboration and approach of the post although some questions are valid. The real issue is some people do not know how to formulate a good question with minimal perception. Reread your own post and see what went wrong. Regardless the distro of choice, research first before asking.
        maybe I ranted a bit at the beginning but when I not talk to private people not official company channels I am used to have a bit a direct tone... a bit like linus said in his presentation he is also not very polite he says what he things also very direct but I am able to learn and to change my opinions when I see that I am (partialy) wrong, so I think thats no problem. maybe it is ^^

But before I say nothing I maybe go over the goal to get reactions, so I can learn and maybe others can learn some stuff too.

I dont flame against upstream developers most of the time, but distributions are something else... and I mixed it a bit flaming a bit feadback a bit suggestions to make something better, so I am not a troll or something.

I am just new to it, and wanted to talk about about my experince and about my fears and stuff ^^

and for some its good to get feedback what could be better for a beginner. that fedora wiki site isnt the best thats all... I know it now and its ok, but you cant alway rtfm to beginners at least if you maybe some day will become more sucessful as distribution as ubuntu is.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          That is an EXTREMELY narrow minded point of view. You go ahead and use terminal full time. In fact, why don't you just delete X and everything that depends on it?

Fact is that IN ORDER TO COMPETE with microscrap, you need to support those users who are barely able to find the ON button. They aren't going to use the terminal for ANYTHING AT ALL NO MATTER WHAT. If you force everyone to use the terminal, you're DOOMED TO FAIL. Guaranteed.

Now go back to your terminal and have fun.

BTW: I assume that you're browsing with something like lynx, right?
          when a Newb comes over from Windows to Linux they should realise before they install a Distro that there isnt gonna be many GUI Apps, Terminal isnt so hard to use if you use Google or man pages. Linux isnt windows.
          They aren't going to use the terminal for ANYTHING AT ALL NO MATTER WHAT
          im afraid there gonna have to use the Terminal.

BTW: I assume that you're browsing with something like lynx, right?
          werent you ever told not to assume?

there's no need to yell either, my hearing is quite fine thanks
          Last edited by Anvil; 20 June 2012, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            No it doesn't. Performance limitations are by network and disk write performance, and yum will hit those limits just fine. You can't violate the network or disk by using super magic sauce.
            What about SSDs and 100Mbps and even 1Gbps links quite common these days? I have some. It's XXI century, after all.

Everything can run out of memory. EVERYTHING. No exception.
            I don't really care about cool theories. I care on result I would feel on my own skin. And I really care to suffer as little as possible from my choice :P.

As for "everything" I can give you at least one example where it's not a case. You see, on C you can use thing called "static memory allocation". It's more common for simple firmwares code, but once again, you told "EVERYTHING. No exception", don't you? So for me it's enough to find just 1 case to prove you wrong. In such case there is no memory allocator exists and everything is statically defined at compile time. So you can't run out of memory in this mode for quite obvious reasons. This approach used in high-reliability things. You would be unhappy if microcontroller who controls your car brakes, engine or whatever would suddenly run out of memory, right?

And FYI: I've used yum quite successfully on systems with only 64 MB, maybe even 32, though that might not even boot a modern kernel.
            "Quite" does not counts. Even single failure on remotely controlled machine could be a problem, etc.

I suggest that you don't forget to enable swap. There should be no memory problems.
            It requires some disk space. Possibly comparable to minimal disk image of the whole system. Minimal Debian/Ubuntu for example works fine on 128Mb without any swap. And I had no any single failure attributed to package manager. Unlike with yum.

Huh? Well if apt just goes through a blob mess of packages, that must make it EXTREMELY slow.... in fact, this would directly contradict your first point! Guaranteed!
            Well, cool theories again. But on practice it's what disk-bound. So on SSD and fast network apt completes it's job in a matter of seconds.

And when trying to compare similar things fairly, YOU "suxx". You've got a bunch of preconceptions and are bring it out in an ignorant puke of worthless contradictions.
            I just compared my typical usage patterns. Yum loses on them. I don't see why it's unfair to admit it.

Comment

Omg I tried to go for the link for the google packages, but I did not see that the first time, its not chromium its chrome, I dont want that... so here is a point where it sucks a bit, but ok I have to live with that and use maybe some non-pakaged installer or something crappy ^^

but one good news, usb-sound now seems to work, magicly hope thats permanent now ^^

Comment

Thumbs up

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                Hi. I am the Fedora QA team leader. .............So, what would you recommend we do? Well, obviously, we need to spin up..............Sorry to be so sarcastic, but seriously. Yeesh.
                Nicely said and as a former programmer (I would like to programm but it is too much stress to put into this area and also some deadlines have to be met or the company might suffer, so >I am programming just for fun now) I couldn't agree more with you. Developing some software in team is always very hard and instead of people being happy about new release and about seeing that the developers are taking care of their customers by releasing the updates they are bit***ing about it. Please all who want to sen some negative comment please first thing about the hard work these people are doing and also bare in mind that the system is free for everyone so the money for making this project to live are needed to be earned by other ways.

Keep it go

Comment

Working...
                X