Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightworks Is Almost Ready For Linux Release

Phoronix: Lightworks Is Almost Ready For Linux Release

Lightworks, the high-end non-linear video editor that was open-sourced, is almost ready to finally debut on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Almost looked like a serious start... until I saw the shark thing.... Sorry, not interested in kiddy toys -- already have pitivi for that.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Almost looked like a serious start... until I saw the shark thing.... Sorry, not interested in kiddy toys -- already have pitivi for that.
      You do know that Lightworks is actually used in Film? (by professionals) ....and it's feature set makes EVERY video editor in linux look like complete and utter GARBAGE, right?

i think will be the only video editor for linux that won't be considered a toy...

I've been waiting for this for a long time, i would love to stop using MacOSX for video-editing. This is one more step towards the Goal of being linux-only (eventually).

Comment

For low-end video editing we got PiTiVi and the likes, for middle-end we got Kdenlive which is pretty cool and Lightworks, from what I know, is quite capable of doing high-end stuff with it. The situation is not that much better on Windows if you disregard Adobe I think.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          For low-end video editing we got PiTiVi and the likes, for middle-end we got Kdenlive which is pretty cool and Lightworks, from what I know, is quite capable of doing high-end stuff with it. The situation is not that much better on Windows if you disregard Adobe I think.

I think you mean if you disregard Adobe, Sony, AVID -> among others. The situation for Linux is that it doesn't have many options and the options that it does have a fairly poor in comparison to Windows or Mac options. (and i am really just looking at the mid to hi-end). On the low to mid-end - Mac and Windows have tons of options - that are all much better than Linux alternatives.

LightWorks is going to bring some professional video-editing to linux. it is free (it's core anyway), they offer the high-end codecs via subscription (which is actually pretty cheap). it's definitely going to be a great piece of software, that should scale nicely to a particular users needs and the amount of change in their pockets!

Comment

Great

It's really nice to see a professional commercial video editing software come to Linux and also go open source!

Comment

I wonder.. does the people writing summaries for software like this even know what all the buzzwords actually imply?
              Here, i naturally mean the "nonlinear" part. What does it actually imply? What would a *linear* video editing program do?
              Is there *any* serious video editing tools out there that aren't non-linear (which aren't just meant to be some tiny tool for cropping a youtube video or some such)? If not, then clearly, the word is meaningless, simple saying "lots of features" is good enough.

Without being very interesting in video editing I had to look it up before posting this. As far as I can tell, non-linear video editing == non-destructive video editing. Other distictions were pointless, as the old tape-cutting days are definitely over. The more you know!

Comment

This is exactly the type of application Linux needs to make further gains in desktop market share. As long as Linux does NOT have the equivalent of a Photoshop (sorry, GIMP simply doesn't cover it), Office (yes, I know LibreOffice may finally get us there in a few years time, thanks to being unshackled by Oracle) and other professional applications, Linux will NEVER appeal to more users who can actually make a difference.

Comment

Actually I'd like to see how it stacks up to Heroine Virtual's community and proritary versions of Cinelerra http://cinelerra.org/

I've never gotten around to them personally though, but they aren't particularly well known since they aren't in most distro's repositories.

Comment

Lightworks is lightyears ahead of Cinelerra. And of every other NLE on Linux as well.

This software is really a professional editing software. It has entered the market as a turnkey system (software+hardware) and now been adapted to work on other hardware too. The turnkey system was used to edit such movies as King's Speech, Hannah, Hugo, Shutter Island, Mamma Mia, ... so yes, there might be a shark, but that doesn't really mean anything except that the system has its roots in the 80s and 90s.

Getting this software on Linux is huge. I really mean it -- it's the first professional grade movie editing software for Linux which doesn't cost thousands of Euros. As such Lightworks paves way for other commercial and professional cinema, graphics and graphical design software. After this Linux is really viable choice for smaller video businesses. Because of that there will be market and demand for Linux versions of Photoshop etc. and other companies offering editing software will probably feel pressure to support Linux as well.

Regarding the software though: while this is a professional grade editing software which really shines when editing feature length movies, the approach to editing is somewhat different than in Premiere or Final Cut Pro 7. That doesn't mean that it's bad, but that it might require some time getting used to it and apparently using an editing controller speeds up the editing process quite a bit.

I myself am hoping that Lightworks will allow me to transfer my editing platform from OSX & FCP7 to Linux and Lightworks.

Comment

Working...
                    X