Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ворот93 View Post
    In terms of market share Linux is still a huge FAIL in comparison with NVIDIA.
    How can you possibly write something this wrong?

Android alone has 400 million devices out there, all running Linux, none running Nvidia. Intel has more than 50% share on desktops. Not to mention all the servers out there.

Must be another gamer kid.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post

Android alone has 400 million devices out there, all running Linux, none running Nvidia. Intel has more than 50% share on desktops. Not to mention all the servers out there.

Apart from all those Nvidia Tegra 1/2/3 tablets, phones, etc? See: Galaxy Tab, Nexus 7, tons of Motorola phones, a few Samsung phones (including mine currently), along with a ton of other new tablets recently released/being releaed.

Sure, there's probably more handsets out there using Snapdragon/PowerVR/etc, but Tegra is becoming more popular since it's a pretty good platform for games/media.

I couldn't care less about the success of Android since it doesn't do squat to increase Dektop Linux market share. Android sells? Good for Google. Desktop Linux is still considered to be crap by most vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by Exopaladin View Post
    Apart from all those Nvidia Tegra 1/2/3 tablets, phones, etc? See: Galaxy Tab, Nexus 7, tons of Motorola phones, a few Samsung phones (including mine currently), along with a ton of other new tablets recently released/being releaed.

Sure, there's probably more handsets out there using Snapdragon/PowerVR/etc, but Tegra is becoming more popular since it's a pretty good platform for games/media.
    You're right, I stand corrected, some of them do run Nvidia stuff. My bad.

But Linux is so much more than Ubuntu. Each Android phone runs a Linux kernel.

But Linux is so much more than Ubuntu. Each Android phone runs a Linux kernel.
    And ?

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    And ?
    ...and Linus is the main developer of the Linux kernel?
    ...and Linus Torvalds saying NVIDIA is the worst company ever when it comes to interacting with the development of the Linux kernel?
    ...and this is what the thread is all about?

...and Linux is not a "failure" in terms of market share?

People here care about their desktops. Android is a different platform. The use of the Linux kernel in Android is quite irrelevant to us.

Aside from Torvalds' NVIDIA remarks near the end, the entire talk is worth watching.
    Linus is what the world needs; people who speak the truth however unsexy it would be. Some may say that nvidia is good because they provide a reasonably good binary blob. That is true, but it has nothing to do with Linus's and the kernel developer community's experience with them. They do not care about blobs, they care about how the company works with them, and i have no problem believing that nvidia would be the most arrogant company to work with, just as he tries to points out in his famous style.

Linus is a Finn, we are kinda introverted people. We focus on the essence of things and strip off the unnecessary sugarcoating of courtesy.

Nobody expects a company to give away their technology, parts of drivers etc. But everybody should expect companies to give the very basic info of how someone would go about to build up support for the hardware. Just as AMD and most other manufacturers do. If they do not, i would go as far as saying it to be anticompetitive measures.

Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    But everybody should expect companies to give the very basic info of how someone would go about to build up support for the hardware.
    Why? Did they sell it to you and say that they would provide that? If not then it is silly to 'expect' them to come forward with that information. WYSIWYG and it doesn't seem to hurt their product sales in the least (in fact they actually sell more then their competitor that does provide that information). IMHO, it is unreasonable to expect anything more then what is presented as is in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Why? Did they sell it to you and say that they would provide that?
    I think that people should. Unfortunately, most people don't expect that.

If not then it is silly to 'expect' them to come forward with that information. WYSIWYG and it doesn't seem to hurt their product sales in the least (in fact they actually sell more then their competitor that does provide that information). IMHO, it is unreasonable to expect anything more then what is presented as is in the first place.
    Of course, the average Bonzy-Buddy user who installs malware if it promises cute kittens on the desktop and write replies with their credit card information to Nigerian scammers, he doesn't don't care. And they are the majority.

So we are where we are. People being forced to use closed-source systems with hardware they own. A microprocessor manufacturer deciding what you can run on your computer.

Well, as long as it has Bonzy Buddy, everything is ok I guess....