Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOG Game Service May Come To Linux

Phoronix: GOG Game Service May Come To Linux

No official word has yet to come out, but the GOG.com computer game sale and distribution service looks increasingly likely like it will come to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's really cool, those Poles are doing an awesome job with both gog.com and cdprojekt, and already proved to really care about their customer's opinions.
    Of course, supporting Linux for a gaming delivery system can be a bit of a jump in the dark, but they already proved to be able to take brave choices (no DRM!).

Really looking forward to this.

(also please, Witcher 1 & 2 on Linux :P)

Comment

OH YES please

I'd love to play The Witcher 2

Comment

Great, yes they should build a specific Wine for each game so the user without doing anything will have the game working almost perfectly. Might be quite a big task, test the best Wine version for each game is not a quick thing, but they could increase the price of 2$ for this. I'm sure no one will say anything.

Comment

WINE unusually works pretty well for their games.

The old DOS games that use DOSbox would be pretty easy to change. Especially considering that the windows version of DOSbox does not run well with wine.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
            WINE unusually works pretty well for their games.

The old DOS games that use DOSbox would be pretty easy to change. Especially considering that the windows version of DOSbox does not run well with wine.
            But Linux has native DOSBox - so DOS games could be run without wine.

Comment

WINE doesn't run so well with certain games.

I try to run The Witcher 1 and it had a lot of visual artifacts and glitches. No, no ATI drivers, but an nVidia GeForce GTS 250 with the nVidia binary driver.

DosBox games in Linux have another problem, and it's DosBox bad optimization.

ALso, Linux sound drivers lacking native MIDI support.

Timidity and fluidsynth have bad performance.

Try to run, for instance, Ultima Underworld (a game that was released for machines with Intel 386 and 2 MB of RAM) on an Atom N270 1,6 GHz. Impossible.

No, I don't think GOG would do WINE and DosBox installers. I prefer native Linux games either. Even if there are so very little.

Comment

GOG doesn't really have a client. All the games you own can be downloaded directly from the website. The downloader simply provides a more convenient way of getting your game with all the goodies. Also the last few months they have started distributing new titles and they partnered with a few kickstarter projects like Carmaggedon and Two Guys from Andromeda aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                  Especially considering that the windows version of DOSbox does not run well with wine.
                  Why would you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                    No, I don't think GOG would do WINE and DosBox installers. I prefer native Linux games either. Even if there are so very little.
                    I don't think they have native source code, since 99,999% of their games have proprietary code, and even if so, they would largely improbable port them to linux from dos.
                    WINE is ok, DOSBox is ok, but the real question asked here is that they provide native Linux versions/binaries, if they are present. This is the idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X