Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases Its Stable 302 Driver w/ RandR 1.3

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases Its Stable 302 Driver w/ RandR 1.3

Before calling it a week, NVIDIA Linux engineers released the 302.17 stable Linux driver. This is the first stable/certified Linux driver in the 302.xx series and thus the first that brings the long-awaited RandR 1.2/1.3 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

woohoo, when does this baby pop up in the Ubuntu repos?

Comment

Anyone knowledgeable as to why Wayland doesn't need stuff like RandR?
      Afaik it's true but dunno why.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Anyone knowledgeable as to why Wayland doesn't need stuff like RandR?
        Afaik it's true but dunno why.
        RandR is an extension to X. It is directly part of X. So that means RandR would obviously not work with Wayland as Randr is part of the X11 protocoll while wayland is it's own protocoll. Wayland implements it's own routines for doing what RandR does in X.

It's like asking: "Why is my Hondas steering wheel not part of your Toyota?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
          RandR is an extension to X. It is directly part of X. So that means RandR would obviously not work with Wayland as Randr is part of the X11 protocoll while wayland is it's own protocoll. Wayland implements it's own routines for doing what RandR does in X.

It's like asking: "Why is my Hondas steering wheel not part of your Toyota?"
          That's not my question.
          My question was, to put it in other words: what is Wayland's solution called that does the stuff that RandR does in X?

I mean, we all saw youtube videos of Wayland (or Weston?) rotating textboxes and windows, right? Is that Wayland's equivalent of RandR? What's it called? How is it different (technologically) from X's approach (RandR)?
          Last edited by mark45; 16 June 2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

It probably doesn't have a name. Why would it necessarily need one?

Comment

I guess RandR has a name because it's an extension; the functionality was added later to X. Wayland isn't at a point yet where you would need to extend it.

Comment

Finaly!

Yay, finaly!
                We've been waiting for XRandR support for so long!

Now if we only can get Nvidia Optimus (switchable GPU), fast VT switching and Wayland support...

Comment

haha if we *only* get that....

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Yay, finaly!
                    We've been waiting for XRandR support for so long!

Now if we only can get Nvidia Optimus (switchable GPU), fast VT switching and Wayland support...
                    Don't hold your breath...they haven't really shown much interest beyond some soundbites

Comment

Working...
                    X