Fedora Discussion: "ARM Is A Dead End"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    why ARM? technically the loongson is much better because MIBS-64 BIT and a 256bit Vector-SIMD unit compatible to the ARM Vector-SIMD unit.

loongson is were ARM try to be in 2014.

why not just drop ARM and go loongson instead?
    Interesting point.

I wonder ARM compares against MIPS.

Comment

why ARM? technically the loongson is much better because MIBS-64 BIT and a 256bit Vector-SIMD unit compatible to the ARM Vector-SIMD unit.

loongson is were ARM try to be in 2014.

why not just drop ARM and go loongson instead?
      That 256-bit wide SIMD unit is for their server chip, a thing that consumes 40W. No wonder they have no chance against ARM

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
        Must be a slow news day that random posts with random opinions need to be reported.

Nobody is going to take that mailing post seriously.
        maybe the tinfoil hats would

Comment

you don't get the point you get 128 GFLOPS double-precision or 256 GFLOPS single-precision for the 40W!

and this is very good!
          You didn't get it: we were discussing how good ARM is for mobile computing and you come talking about a server chip

Comment

this is not a server chip! you can buy notebooks "Lemote 8133 notebook" with that chip-
            As far as I could find, that laptop uses Loongson 3A which doesn't have the vector unit (3C has it).

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              Don't you have couches?
              Couches? As in multiple? As a poor student? I do have one old couch.

But how's that related? Tablets are really un-ergonomic, my wrists don't like it when poking one for more than half an hour. I don't really appreciate touch UIs either, due to their nature they are forced to insert lag (is this a single or double tap? Maybe a gesture?); my fingers aren't invisible; smudges, etc etc.

(I do have a couple Android tablets, so speaking from experience)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Couches? As in multiple? As a poor student? I do have one old couch.

But how's that related? Tablets are really un-ergonomic, my wrists don't like it when poking one for more than half an hour. I don't really appreciate touch UIs either, due to their nature they are forced to insert lag (is this a single or double tap? Maybe a gesture?); my fingers aren't invisible; smudges, etc etc.

(I do have a couple Android tablets, so speaking from experience)
                Tablet + stand + external keyboard + duct tape = laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Which falls apart if you lift it, is a pain to carry around and to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Which falls apart if you lift it, is a pain to carry around and to set up.
                    MOAR DUCK TAPE!

If people can build canoes out of it, you can make a solid laptop. You probably couldn't close it though.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Err.. subnetbook, you mean?

Comment

Working...
                      X