Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon UMS Support To Be Dropped

Phoronix: Radeon UMS Support To Be Dropped

AMD developers are planning to remove user-space mode-setting (UMS) support from the open-source Radeon graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe good for Linux with less code to maintain and less cruft.

But maybe not so good for our fellow friends of BSD, OpenIndiana, etc.

But what happens with X.org on BSD, Solaris (and derivatives), GNU Hurd, OS X / Darwin, Windows, HP-UX, IBM AIX, etc?

By the way, does X run on DOS, Plan 9, AmigaOS, and others?
    Last edited by uid313; 15 June 2012, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Kill it with fire!

OpenIndiana and *BSDs are desktop zombies - few people talk of actually using these desktops and have I spotted none in the wild.

Comment

The FreeBSD and friends are moving to using their own versions of KMS. They are just slower then Linux.

If push comes to shove the BSDs could just end up porting the Linux DRM module to their own kernels and getting a compatible DRI interface that way. Their license is GPL compatible so it's all legal and all that. Then they can use that until they get BSD versions of the drivers up to speed. I don't think that it will come to that.

As far as Solaris goes.. I don't care. I don't know anybody who would.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
          The FreeBSD and friends are moving to using their own versions of KMS. They are just slower then Linux.

If push comes to shove the BSDs could just end up porting the Linux DRM module to their own kernels and getting a compatible DRI interface that way. Their license is GPL compatible so it's all legal and all that. Then they can use that until they get BSD versions of the drivers up to speed. I don't think that it will come to that.

As far as Solaris goes.. I don't care. I don't know anybody who would.
          Last I heard, the Solaris developers had already gotten KMS working for intel cards at least. The code just hasn't been released yet to the derived distributions (OpenIndiana, etc).

Comment

i love bsds and solaris. but they are not good desktop OSes (they are downright terrible as a desktop). you might as well just run vesa vga mode. all you do on a server is ssh to a console. you don't need opengl 3d effects.

Comment

I have lost interest in Solaris when Oracle closed it. I appreciate what the OpenSolaris folks are trying to do, but I don't think they have what it takes to keep the OSS version of Solaris competitive.

Comment

Working...
              X