Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Posts More Wayland Patches

Phoronix: Canonical Posts More Wayland Patches

While Canonical isn't known for making many low-level upstream Linux contributions, new patches authored by one of Canonical's Ubuntu developers has been posted for mainline Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The contribution is pathetic since there are just 2 patches: a patch is an update of an older one, and the other isn't rocket sciense either.

To me it doesn't deserve a phoronix article.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      but but but but but its Canonical aka ubuntu aka we fart and it comes on phoronix.....

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
        but but but but but its Canonical aka ubuntu aka we fart and it comes on phoronix.....
        Where's the Like button when you need it

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          It's funny because the reseption of Canonical has sunk so low that people actually have to be reminded that they actually contribute something to upstream sometimes... I for one was genuinely suprised when I first head they had published some patches for Wayland. So it's more of a news that Canonical contributes something to upstream than what they actually contribute.

Comment

why is ubuntu relevant again?

Comment

Uhm...

...why are we fighting among ourselves here? Anything to make critical parts of the Linux stack work better should be welcomed, even if it comes from a company most do not like. But that's just me...

Comment

I certainly agree!

I for one don't have the ability to make any patches for Wayland, so I don't write snarky forum posts about those who do.

Comment

so where is the offer from fedora then or where are the ports or what, I like that fedora does more for the community and goes more upstream routes (gnome-shell...) but they do much stuff so I cant use it. Sorry I will never in 1000 years not accept that stupid rpm format, thats all their standards it differs from debian, stupid standard folder scheme etc.

Filebased dependencies suck too, I just dont want such unreliable stuff, I want package x made to be compatible with package y...

you will all say thats just subjective and in reality thats all better, but then tell me why fedora can not get more users than ubuntu even if ubuntu screws up in many ways, like not using gnome-shell like not using the better systemd? Will you tell me that fedora is not userfriendly enough to get installed by a monkey like nearly each todays linux is? Or what am I missing ? ^^

Why is a total newcomer a sub-distribution from ubuntu called Linux Mint even more popular than fedore? its because they all are childs of debian (undesired maybe but they are...)

So get a debian-distri up with same package-default selection like fedora or make fedora more like debian in some ways and you will suceed.

where are ppas?

yum-config-manager --add-repo repo-url-here such small shit kills the feeling, I know its only a small thing but if you have such small disadvantages on 100 positions in your system it makes a difference

add-a->tab ppa:blub vs
                  yum-c->tab --add-repo http://long-long.long/long-url.something

its more that double the stuff so yes you can copy the url and stuff but that sucks... but I have more problems with the dependencies... I want much packages for this one version and no 3rdparty sides for halth the stuff I need, and hope that that packages maybe work...

37.000 vs 22.000 packages nearly double the amount of ubuntu packages.

even sidux has more packages than fedore 23.000... ( I guess all the debian packages from unstable???)

so ok that was a spontaneus very perfunctury quick comparsion, its only a small part of the hole diskussion, I just had to say that because all flamed against ubuntu, where I maybe agree a bit about that, but the alternatives are not that good often.

Each time I installed fedora I run fast away if it was a horrific theme or something else that sucked instantly. Its a bit like suse suse sucked really hard ( I know some will disagree to that but it did debian was way faster and not with such a retarded monster-registry-like config tool )

So I did go a few years ago use gentoo, but it stugnated basicly at some time and compile always new is fun a while but sucks at some time... so before that I used debian unstable most of the time because stable ore testing was or did become very very old over time.

I think for me mint is no alternative I want a pure gnome-desktop and I dont want rpm based distro. so I only can hope that ubuntu goes back to support also gnome-shell better...

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    you will all say thats just subjective and in reality thats all better, but then tell me why fedora can not get more users than ubuntu even if ubuntu screws up in many ways, like not using gnome-shell like not using the better systemd? Will you tell me that fedora is not userfriendly enough to get installed by a monkey like nearly each todays linux is? Or what am I missing ? ^^

Why is a total newcomer a sub-distribution from ubuntu called Linux Mint even more popular than fedore? its because they all are childs of debian (undesired maybe but they are...)
                    There's no way to tell how many people use which distribution. That's a simple fact. Indicators such as "articles published" or "forum activity" are just indicators that the distributions is widely used, but you can't say distro A > distro B.

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    Its a bit like suse suse sucked really hard ( I know some will disagree to that but it did debian was way faster and not with such a retarded monster-registry-like config tool )
                    Have you tried openSUSE the last 2years? I bet not, it is awesome! (the last statement may contain personal opinions :-P)

Comment

Working...
                    X