Humble Indie Bundle V Generates Five Million USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Clearly I have played and I haven't found any AAA game, only amateurish and average ones.
    Bastion and Limbo were up for several Game of the Year awards.

I suppose what you mean is there aren't any AAA games, and that's true enough.

$5 million is chump change for a AAA game, though - they aren't sniffing anywhere near this.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
      Agree with this, like overdose is doing:

http://www.indiegogo.com/overdose?a=537463
      Someone else mentioned this, but the game engine is the easy bit.

Paying 50 artists to work 80 hours a week for 3 years creating content for your game is the expensive part.

That's why all these smaller-budget games try to go a different direction than AAA titles, by having an interesting stylized look, often 2-D or fixed perspective, to draw players in, rather than trying to become a more realistic-looking 3D game.

Even if they succeed looking good with the engine in one scene, the limited amount of assets would quickly get repetitive and highly noticeable.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 15 June 2012, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        so if a game (or film) costs like 200 million and flops is that considered AAA or not ?
        yep. it just becomes infamous. See also: Shenmue

Comment

wait. what?

all of you people discussing the AAA thing here are aware of

Humble INDIE Bundle

INIDIE Bundle

INDIE

Comment

Originally posted by lopho View Post
            wait. what?

all of you people discussing the AAA thing here are aware of

Humble INDIE Bundle

INIDIE Bundle

INDIE

Bring it up with mark45, who insists AAA is nothing to do with budget, and that $600k is enough for an indie Call of Duty.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              What this world needs is more complaining about good news stories.
              I'm complaining that your post is not complain-y enough.

Comment

AAA doesn't mean anything if you judge it solely by the budget. And when I say AAA I mean quality since I don't give a rat's ass how much they spent creating a game. That's why I played Call of Duty and stuff alike - because it's sophisticated and cool. There's nothing like this in the Bundle and since they have big budgets lately they can probably try to create and/or ship such a title. I'm sure you can create a good title with under a million $. There are good free engines like doom3 and whatnot, so you don't really have to create a game from scratch.
                Um.. so maybe what you mean by sophisticated and cool is about the graphic quality? For me, it's half true. The plot must be OK too. Or the game have something unique. I'm OK with mediocre graphic quality but have an OK plot & uniqueness.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Though, maybe I could buy and 100% proceeds to charity and 0% to developers and 0% to HIB?
                  Yes, this has been possible with the custom payment option for several HIBs now.

I usually dump most of the purchase into the EFF.

Comment

And don't give me 2005 or so games for obvious reasons. What was 7 years ago AAA, now is obviously not AAA any longer since the standards for AAA rise as time goes by.
                    Ah yes, because the new shooter that is the same as the old shooter is SOOOO worthy of being called "AAA"?

You don't think that massive amounts of advertising dollars have anything to do with if a game sells or not? With enough money in advertising you could sell people a current era "AAA" game that could have easily been done on the SNES or the Saturn or the Playstation, just with shiny graphics, oh wait, they already do that!

So sorry if I, like many people that are old enough to have played games over the last 20+ years to know a thing or two about how great those "old used to be AAA" titles still hold up as being overall BETTER games then most of the most highly touted games of the current generation.

Seriously, these days for each console generation there are maybe 10 games per generation actually worth playing, same goes with the main stream PC gaming, the vast majority of the current crop are the same game I've already played a hundred times before under diferent names from dozens of developrs.

So yeah, you are a moron.

Comment

If you want to donate to charity, then donate to charity.

But don't give $0 to the game developers and then play their games.

Comment

Working...
                      X