Humble Indie Bundle V Generates Five Million USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    AAA doesn't mean anything if you judge it solely by the budget. And when I say AAA I mean quality since I don't give a rat's ass how much they spent creating a game. That's why I played Call of Duty and stuff alike - because it's sophisticated and cool. There's nothing like this in the Bundle and since they have big budgets lately they can probably try to create and/or ship such a title. I'm sure you can create a good title with under a million $. There are good free engines like doom3 and whatnot, so you don't really have to create a game from scratch.
    Misusing a label because you feel a different meaning fits better is not going to help you communicate with others.
    Also "sophisticated" sure must be a subjective term cause i find LIMBO way more sophisticated then CoD.

Comment

I'm sure you can create a good title with under a million $.
      Well, not by your standards, since you're not happy with any of these ~$1m budget games, because they're not the almost-a-hundred-million-dollar-to-develop Call of Duty.

There are good free engines like doom3 and whatnot, so you don't really have to create a game from scratch.
      Art assets are the expensive part. Most games today, including big budget ones, use off the shelf engines. Even low-cost engines.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        Misusing a label because you feel a different meaning fits better is not going to help you communicate with others.
        Also "sophisticated" sure must be a subjective term cause i find LIMBO way more sophisticated then CoD.
        "sophisticated" as in "large choice of shooty shooty bang bangs"

Comment

What this world needs is more complaining about good news stories.

Comment

Looks like the Humble Bundle folks are looking for some Linux help if anyone's interested:

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Quality rings a bell? Hello? I didn't play Left 4 Dead because it had a big budget, but because it's sophisticated and cool, that's what AAA games mean. I haven't seen such games on Humble Bundle.
              So basically you're looking for the bargain bin of major publishers. Which the Humble Indie Bundle is not, by definition.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                So basically you're looking for the bargain bin of major publishers. Which the Humble Indie Bundle is not, by definition.
                They're definitely getting a lot of money, so by definition - they're not after major publishers, but by quality standards and the amount of money they raise - that's the natural target. If you stall you lose, that's how capitalism works.

Comment

They're definitely getting a lot of money
                  But, as I showed earlier, the maximum any HIB5 developer would have gotten is $0.6m, assuming everyone who bought the HIB went for a 100% developer split (the default is not this).

$0.6m is not much money outside indie game circles.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
                    It was a system seller - millions of systems - but doesn't meet the modern definition for "Triple A title" - a term which only really started appearing in the CD-ROM game era, which is rather more modern than the Game Boy. AAA is mostly about budget - the rest is fluff. and Tetris had a low budget.
                    I believe a "system seller" is sometimes considered the best kind of game. The best ROI.

I mean I don't know if Mario would be considered AAA or not, but it certainly is a system seller.

while many other games have cost many millions but flopped...

so if a game (or film) costs like 200 million and flops is that considered AAA or not ?

I mean hey remember Water-world with its AAA budget?

Last edited by madjr; 15 June 2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I'm sure you can create a good title with under a million $. There are good free engines like doom3 and whatnot, so you don't really have to create a game from scratch.
                      Agree with this, like overdose is doing:

Crowdfund innovations in tech and design before they go mainstream and support entrepreneurs that are working to bring their dreams to life.

Comment

Working...
                      X