Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GCC Update Brings More Than 100 Bug-Fixes

Default GCC Update Brings More Than 100 Bug-Fixes

Phoronix: GCC Update Brings More Than 100 Bug-Fixes

The GNU Compiler Collection 4.7.1 release is available as of this morning...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExOTg

Hopefully now 4.7 will get un-hardmasked in gentoo soon, I have a trinity notebook arriving in about a week and want 4.7's awesome bulldozer optimizations.

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    Hopefully now 4.7 will get un-hardmasked in gentoo soon, I have a trinity notebook arriving in about a week and want 4.7's awesome bulldozer optimizations.
    Could always unmask it - if you don't need anything listed in the 4.7 tracker. I'm going to take that dive myself in a few days, mostly because I want the extra C++11 support.

I was waiting for the .1 release too, for I hear LTO is finally stable and usable for most things.

117 bugs.

(char limitation)

Seems to be working so far, but generates far bigger code with -Os and only gets back to equivalent-sized binaries compared to 4.2 with -flto.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Seems to be working so far, but generates far bigger code with -Os and only gets back to equivalent-sized binaries compared to 4.2 with -flto.
    Out of curiosity - is that a full world rebuild? I plan on that, possibly followed by a few days of "oh bugger, that broke", but I hear that it's not too awful (if you set it up properly, of course).
    (note to self: leave libreoffice out, that thing takes too long to build)

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    There's still a number of packages that simply don't compile with gcc-4.7 until these are fixed it's unlikely it'll be hard unmasked

Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    Out of curiosity - is that a full world rebuild? I plan on that, possibly followed by a few days of "oh bugger, that broke", but I hear that it's not too awful (if you set it up properly, of course).
    (note to self: leave libreoffice out, that thing takes too long to build)
    LibreOffice isn't compiling with gcc-4.7 atm anyway

I've actually tested this on a KDE desktop PC. I've built the whole system (over 1000 packages) with GCC 4.7 and LTO. I posted my finding here:

http://realnc.blogspot.com/2012/06/b...cc-47-and.html