AMD To Put An ARM Core On Future Fusion APUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    but you will stil claim that its not usefull to have a acceleration of factor "20"
    No, I claimed nothing of the sort. I said two things :

- performance was poor in a lot of common cases (or something like that)

- we were not including HD4000 OpenCL support in the initial work we were doing

Nothing more.

Thanks. I asked him about whether he saw a performance diff from enabling the LLVM shader compiler.
    Test signature

Comment

bridgeman + Q

Greatest couple in the history of open-source graphics drivers discussions ever, seriously!

Comment

prove this!... and i'm sure you "can't"
        you only don't get a acceleration on lowend cards like hd4350 or hd4550.
        you need at minimum a hd4650 to get a speed up compared to the cpu.
        and this is your real secret point you claim linux users only use lowend hardware and on lowend hardware the hd4000 generation can not "accelerate"
        anything above hd4650 is much faster than the "CPU".
        (rolls eyes and gives up, wonders if it's too late to sign the petition)
        Test signature

Comment

you don't need "Prove" or "Source" or "benchmarks" at all.
          Correct. I'm glad we had this little chat.
          Test signature

Comment

Q : how are you ?

Bridgman : fine

Q : Lie !! I demand proof !!
            Test signature

Comment

Qaridarium and bridgman I'm glad you guys cleared that up. Now back on topic...

Comment

I dont like that user politics from amd, too.

But its best we have, ok Intel is not that bad, too, but you dont get any information if you write in any forum or something like that (or am I wrong here?).

But Nvidia sucks extremely no free drivers... so I have to support this... But I hope that some stuff comes in next few months. The killer-feature is beside good power-management that works kind of ok in some cases, the gpu-decoding of videos.

Its just retarded to decode videos with the cpu in 2012, we have global warming, and I dont buy a laptop/... to make my battery empty in double the time possible.

I can wait very long on gaming speed, because gaming is dead (if you dont count wine) in Linux, you dont need much 3d speed anyway, at least most people. If Intel makes gpu encoded videos inkl. 1080p happen with its intel gpus + open driver and the hardware is not extremly more expensive I only will buy Intel stuff from this point, and also tell anybody who asks me about new hardware ( a few people ) that they should do so too.

I know only if you buy 10 trillion cpus/gpus from amd that is importent for amd, but dont forget that I dont speak only for myself, if people go to demonstrate its not only this few tausends that are voting for this or against this topic, there are much more people behind it that think in the same direction and do the same (as example in voting for the other parties).

I am very patiant, if you explain why it takes longer and tell me that the opensource driver is the focus, I can be pationed, but if its a thing that you do just for fun and dont take serios I think the last people who dont say you want a gpu under linux buy nvidia the "driver" (the blobshit) works better.

what did last year or this year important happen feature wise in the opensource ati driver? Maybe I am not very attentive but I would say nothing.
                Last edited by blackiwid; 13 June 2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  (rolls eyes and gives up, wonders if it's too late to sign the petition)
                  ....... anyway bridgman, what is your take on this ?

in June 2011 Phil Rogers, AMD Fellow, said that Fusion processors – the ones that include CPU and GPU cores – would become CPU and GPU agnostic.

then AMD has followed up at this year's Fusion developer summit with the announcement of the formation of the Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) group , and then this week at the AMD Fusion Developer Summit 2012 (AFDS),

"AMD Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer Mike Wolfe described AMD’s vision to advance computing security by enhancing AMD’s existing security technologies. This is expected to include developing a platform security processor using an ARM Cortex™-A5 CPU that features TrustZone technology, to monitor and help protect against malicious access to sensitive data and operations at the hardware level."

also given the Cortex-A5 has both the NEON SIMD and is using ARM's AMBA4 interconnect

"ARM Documentation set for AMBA protocol specifications and design tools, including ACE, ACE-Lite, AXI4, AXI4-Lite, AXI4-Stream, AXI3, ATB, AHB-Lite and APB protocols.

The AMBA protocol is an open standard, on-chip interconnect specification for the connection and management of functional blocks in a System-on-Chip (SoC). It enables development of multi-processor designs with large numbers of controllers and peripherals. AMBA promotes design re-use by defining a common backbone for SoC modules using specifications for ACE, AXI, AHB, APB and ATB."

will you be involved with the ARM AMD Linux documentation and managing the ARM Linux code that AMD writes, come to that will you and your Linux team now be joining the Linaro Initiative to get the AMD ARM code up to scratch ASAP along side all the other ARM vendors there.

and do You think AMD be using that NEON SIMD and the the low power ARM AMBA4 bus protocols etc http://www.arm.com/products/system-ip/amba/index.php
                  to interconnect your version of the Cortex-A5 to the rest of the AMD system APU's to reserve power or some other old x86 power hungry bus

Comment

Graphics core of this future ARM-based CPU's will be GCN, right?
                    So, we will get first ARM-based solution with almost 100% open source driver, right? (except firmware)

Comment

I think that this is pretty good news.

The 'trusted zone' security sounds like a crock of shit that will cause hell, but if people are able to to successfully ignore that then this is probably going to be very good.

Avoiding the need for proprietary drivers to get acceleration should free up a lot more of these consumer phone devices for playing around with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X