A Second Beta Of KDE SC 4.9 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ov1d1u View Post
    I was a big fan of KDE 3.x series, but KDE 4 seems to be developed by some 10-years schoolboys...
    The most feature rich free desktop environment available is written by 10 year old schoolboys? Awesome.

The XML bug seems to still persist in KDE SC 4.9 beta 2 but at least I have not experienced any of the other bugs you mentioned in the three years of using KDE (KDE 4.3-4.9).

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      The most feature rich free desktop environment available is written by 10 year old schoolboys? Awesome.

The XML bug seems to still persist in KDE SC 4.9 beta 2 but at least I have not experienced any of the other bugs you mentioned in the three years of using KDE (KDE 4.3-4.9).
      Well all I wanted to say is that KDE, even if rich-featured, seems to be developed in a immature manner. Remember the bug in KDE 4.8.0 where, every time when you created a file using "New file" option a .desktop extension was appended after the filename? That was a piece of untested code which seems that was merged into KDE main tree without any kind of testing. It was another bug which appeared from nowhere and just added a new issue into a new (and even big) release.

Yes, I'm also a (open-source software) developer maintaining two projects and I know that bugs can appear anytime, but this kind of bugs are simply... childish.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Always when I tried KDE, I found it very pretty, but I found it difficult to use.

The interface would be cluttered with buttons, menus, toolbars and stuff. They would cram as much as features and functionality into the GUI as possible.
        I'd get overwhelmed by it. It lacks simplicity.

Also, I find it too difficult to use the KDE start menu, it required too much effort, navigation and clicks.
        I really wish this meme would die. It's really not that bad. Maybe compared to GNOME's utter lack of configurability or things to click on KDE seems "complicated". Then again, maybe you're just another GNOME troll.

Comment

Also, I find it too difficult to use the KDE start menu, it required too much effort, navigation and clicks.
          Easy. Right-click the menu launcher and select "Switch to classic menu style". Done.

Comment

It's annoying that it has quite some bugs but overall it's pretty good now. My only wish is that the applications would feel a bit lighter. Opening dolphin takes about 2 seconds. Nautilus opens much faster. Thunar opens almost instantly.

Also, I haven't configured that much and it looks to my liking:

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
              Here's a screenshot of my minimal KDE setup.
              Oh, that's very different from what I've seen.
              Didn't know you could do that.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Then do not use it! It is just one choice of many alternatives.
              If you are too stupid for KDE software, use software for simple-minded people like Unity.
              Shouldn't a desktop environment provide "sensible defaults" instead of presenting as many options, features and choices as possible?
              Less is more.

Originally posted by siride View Post
              I really wish this meme would die. It's really not that bad. Maybe compared to GNOME's utter lack of configurability or things to click on KDE seems "complicated". Then again, maybe you're just another GNOME troll.
              Then what if you compare it against Windows, Mac, Xfce, Enlightenment, etc?
              Then KDE is still complicated.

Comment

Oh, that's very different from what I've seen. Didn't know you could do that.
                KDE can mimic the bahaviour of almost any desktop for the most part and do things that are not possible elsewhere.

Shouldn't a desktop environment provide "sensible defaults" instead of presenting as many options, features and choices as possible?
                There's no real sensible why you couldn't have both and I think that KDE managed that quite fine altough some things could have some polish. Then again that's true for every desktop.

Comment

Re

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                  The fact that just about everyone has to spend hours configuring KDE after they install it, means the designers got it wrong. I used to go through this rigmarole until Gnome 3 came along, now if I need to tweak the appearance at a fine level I just crack open a .js file (so I don't bother), and the interface only exposes buttons I'll actually ever need. Life is easier now.
                  Hours of configuration? What's with that bulls***?
                  I like the default configurations, and it takes me about 30-90 seconds to configure it to my liking...

Comment

Always when I tried KDE, I found it very pretty, but I found it difficult to use.

The interface would be cluttered with buttons, menus, toolbars and stuff. They would cram as much as features and functionality into the GUI as possible.
                    I'd get overwhelmed by it. It lacks simplicity.

You'll be better with gnome that gets into your way and it's illogical. "Navigation and clicks" that's dumb. Better to use phone like interface with big icons and even more clicks. There's no problem with features in gnome, because there are nearly none. You can write needed feature in js and be happy. Best wishes from the irrational international gnome camp!

Comment

Then what if you compare it against Windows, Mac, Xfce, Enlightenment, etc?
                      Then KDE is still complicated.
                      Stop kidding. Windows is damn complicated. Many people were just growing on it, so they know how to use it. I bet KDE is much easier than Enlightenment. KDE is a Linux desktop of choice in enterprise.

Comment

Working...
                      X