Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS, 12.04 LTS, 12.10 On An Old Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    How is file sharing better on Windows than Linux?
    Well it isn't BETTER, but a hell of a lot easier and straight-forward for setting up. It used to be incredibly easy in linux but the program to do that no longer works with the latest versions.

If you want it better, then help out by contributing code and writing documentation.
    Or donate money to relevant projects.
    List of ways to make a donation

http://www.videolan.org/contribute.html
    I care about alsa improving. if I can surround sound working with alsa, I don't care about pulseaudio. I've also never used xbmc and I'm likely to never use it either, so I'm not donating to something irrelevant to me.

Comment

1. Set up your favorite FTP server
      2. ???
      3. Profit

Voila, easy and fast file sharing, in an actually efficient and standards-compliant way. SMB is good in no other way than that on Windows you right-click a folder and "Share this".

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Usually it is simpler to rent a movie, that does not cost that much usually. It depends if you have got a good video store nearby or not.
        • Effort to go out and goto the video store.
        • Have to pay money.
        • Support a asshole movie industry and MPAA.
        • Often its a shit movie not even worth paying for.
        • Hope the store has the movie you're interested in. Hope its not rented out to someone else already.
        • Only being able to have it 24 or something hours.
        • If you forget or somehow fail to return it in time, you will be punished and forced to pay a penalty fee.
        • Be forced to watch trailers and advertisement shit before you can actually watch the movie with no way to skip past it even though you payed for it.

No thanks, I'll rather download it for free in a DRM-free format, keep it forever, and not have to watch ads. Without even having to leave the house.
        Why pay for less?

Comment

Well if nobody pays there will be no new movies. That's logical or not? Renting is much cheaper than buying and much cheaper than going to the movies. There are also different ways how you can rent it. If you have got nothing against drm protection you could even rent it via web streaming, but that usually only works with win. So not really the optimal choice for Linux users...

Comment

Well if nobody pays there will be no new movies. That's logical or not? Renting is much cheaper than buying and much cheaper than going to the movies. There are also different ways how you can rent it. If you have got nothing against drm protection you could even rent it via web streaming, but that usually only works with win. So not really the optimal choice for Linux users...
            Renting is for physical media. There is no reason why digital distribution should use a renting model. Renting is legacy. Physical media needed to be rented so it could be returned and rented out to someone else. This is not the case with digital media.

Maybe the movie industry should start watch-as-many-movies you want for a flat monthly fee.
            Or when you buy a physical Blu-ray movie, you also get a download link for a DRM-free version.
            Or buy 3, pay for 2.
            Or every 10th movie you buy you get one free.

When you pay, you get less.
            Besides pirating movie is free and costs you nothing, it also comes with many benefits and advantages such as DRM-free, no ads, etc.

Comment

And it comes with the benefit that when you are caught (in the "right" country) then you have to pay much more. In germany there are even lawyers who seem to do nothing else than sending warning letters with a few hundred euro fees to ppl how got caught using torrent or emule. There are companies who do nothing else than running modified clients to find the ip adresses. I personally know ppl who already payed a huge sum of money. I do not like that development but pirating is not always free. Btw. the ones i know have been caught just for sharing some music files. Filesharing can be really critical, of course there are some other ways where you do not share the files yourself but i would not recommend that to others. I basically have got nothing against physical media for movies, you can get em even via mail if needed. hd media often has got more than 20 gb size and with extras it can be up to 45 gb - even with a very fast connection you do not really want to wait for the dl. Of course the rips you watch are much smaller i know, but only the main movie.

Comment

And it comes with the benefit that when you are caught (in the "right" country) then you have to pay much more. In germany there are even lawyers who seem to do nothing else than sending warning letters with a few hundred euro fees to ppl how got caught using torrent or emule. There are companies who do nothing else than running modified clients to find the ip adresses. I personally know ppl who already payed a huge sum of money. I do not like that development but pirating is not always free. Btw. the ones i know have been caught just for sharing some music files. Filesharing can be really critical, of course there are some other ways where you do not share the files yourself but i would not recommend that to others. I basically have got nothing against physical media for movies, you can get em even via mail if needed. hd media often has got more than 20 gb size and with extras it can be up to 45 gb - even with a very fast connection you do not really want to wait for the dl. Of course the rips you watch are much smaller i know, but only the main movie.
                I live in Sweden, I don't know anyone who have ever payed anything ever.
                The chance of getting caught is astronomical; you're more likely to win the lottery, get hit by a meteorite, or get into a threesome with two really hot chicks!

If you ever receive a threatening letter, the best thing to do is to simply ignore it.
                They're just trolls who are using extortion by threatening you that you must pay to settle it out-of-court or goto court and pay more. These guys don't even want to go to court. Just silently discard the letter without replying.

Comment

Working...
                X