Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS, 12.04 LTS, 12.10 On An Old Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    The only reason I use windows 7 over XP is because it .... has symlinks.
    Thanks for that.... I did not know that Vista/7 supported proper symlinks for files/directories on NTFS using the mklink command.

I may be re-structuring part of my OS and Data partitions to better take advantage of my SSD as a result of this.

Comment

If I can get rid of that disaster of an interface they call Metro, I might pirate win8.
      Windows is a commercially sold software.
      If you do not want to pay for it, then don't use it.
      Either buy and use Windows or don't buy Windows and use Linux instead.
      But if you want to use it, you should pay for it.

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Thanks for that.... I did not know that Vista/7 supported proper symlinks for files/directories on NTFS using the mklink command.
      I may be re-structuring part of my OS and Data partitions to better take advantage of my SSD as a result of this.
      How so?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Either buy and use Windows or don't buy Windows and use Linux instead.
        But if you want to use it, you should pay for it.
        Oh gee I'm sorry Captain Ethical, I didn't realize that I had such a diabolical plan. Now MS will crumble and fall because I didn't pay for their mediocre product and it's all my fault!

Seriously, telling someone what to do that is based on your opinion is just as distasteful as piracy itself. I pay for games (and I pay more than $10 for the humble bundles), most of the music I get is legally free, I'll pay for a movie once in a while, but I rarely download those either. Generally, if there's something I want and can't pay for it, I wait so I can get it UNLESS the product was made specifically for profit and nothing more, where I don't care if the company gets a loss. I pirate Windows because MS doesn't need or deserve the money. They pull all sorts of stupid tricks to give you reasons to pay full price for a minimal upgrade that may do something you don't like. I'd give examples but I'd be going on for pages about that. Besides, the performance thing discussed earlier in this thread was an example. The only thing I use Windows for at this point is watching movies (because ALSA is a pain in the ass when it comes to surround sound) and playing games, and I don't do those very often; I've gone almost entire months not doing either. To me, it makes no sense to pay for something I don't use much and find worse than Linux in almost every way I can think of.

How so?
        I'm guessing by putting files related to booting and other frequently-accessed files in the SSD, he'll get more performance while not using up a ton of the SSD's limited space on just Windows itself. Installing Windows on a SSD is sorta a waste of all that space when many/most of those bloated files might not ever be accessed.

Comment

Oh gee I'm sorry Captain Ethical, I didn't realize that I had such a diabolical plan. Now MS will crumble and fall because I didn't pay for their mediocre product and it's all my fault!

Seriously, telling someone what to do that is based on your opinion is just as distasteful as piracy itself. I pay for games (and I pay more than $10 for the humble bundles), most of the music I get is legally free, I'll pay for a movie once in a while, but I rarely download those either. Generally, if there's something I want and can't pay for it, I wait so I can get it UNLESS the product was made specifically for profit and nothing more, where I don't care if the company gets a loss. I pirate Windows because MS doesn't need or deserve the money. They pull all sorts of stupid tricks to give you reasons to pay full price for a minimal upgrade that may do something you don't like. I'd give examples but I'd be going on for pages about that. Besides, the performance thing discussed earlier in this thread was an example. The only thing I use Windows for at this point is watching movies (because ALSA is a pain in the ass when it comes to surround sound) and playing games, and I don't do those very often; I've gone almost entire months not doing either. To me, it makes no sense to pay for something I don't use much and find worse than Linux in almost every way I can think of.
          If its so mediocre, then don't use it.
          If you're dissatisfied with surround sound and media playback on Linux, then feel free to donate to ALSA, FFmpeg, GStreamer, PulseAudio, VLC, MPlayer, XMBC, etc. Maybe the situation will improve.

Comment

If its so mediocre, then don't use it.
            If you're dissatisfied with surround sound and media playback on Linux, then feel free to donate to ALSA, FFmpeg, GStreamer, PulseAudio, VLC, MPlayer, XMBC, etc. Maybe the situation will improve.
            As I said, I don't really use it. If the first thing I do when I run windows is a full-screen program that hides the entire OS then I don't really care about what makes it crappy. The only things I find windows significantly better at than linux is playing 3D commercial games and file sharing.

PulseAudio can set up surround sound just fine, but its still a little too heavy and unstable for my likes. ALSA is perfectly capable of surround sound but its how to do it that is the problem. Documentation for it seems to be outdated or hardware specific, and the only GUI for it doesn't work anymore.

Comment

As I said, I don't really use it. If the first thing I do when I run windows is a full-screen program that hides the entire OS then I don't really care about what makes it crappy. The only things I find windows significantly better at than linux is playing 3D commercial games and file sharing.
              How is file sharing better on Windows than Linux?

PulseAudio can set up surround sound just fine, but its still a little too heavy and unstable for my likes. ALSA is perfectly capable of surround sound but its how to do it that is the problem. Documentation for it seems to be outdated or hardware specific, and the only GUI for it doesn't work anymore.
              If you want it better, then help out by contributing code and writing documentation.
              Or donate money to relevant projects.
              List of ways to make a donation

Comment

Well there is one reason why you need a win partition besides playing new commercial games: to play original blurays including the menu. Even if you manage to play em with Linux you never get a menu. So for more than the main movie you have to use an official player. Ok you could use a hardware player as well, but when you already have got a bd drive in your pc...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Well there is one reason why you need a win partition besides playing new commercial games: to play original blurays including the menu. Even if you manage to play em with Linux you never get a menu. So for more than the main movie you have to use an official player. Ok you could use a hardware player as well, but when you already have got a bd drive in your pc...
                  Blu-ray?
                  People even buy Blu-ray movies?
                  I thought that stuff was only used for games on PlayStation 3.
                  People who buy Blu-ray movies must be 50+ year old, same people who buy VHS and DVD.
                  I rather just pirate it from the Internet and get it DRM-free and have it digitally stored and playable on any device. So much easier, cheaper and more convenient.

Comment

Blu-ray?
                    People even buy Blu-ray movies?
                    I thought that stuff was only used for games on PlayStation 3.
                    People who buy Blu-ray movies must be 50+ year old, same people who buy VHS and DVD.
                    I rather just pirate it from the Internet and get it DRM-free and have it digitally stored and playable on any device. So much easier, cheaper and more convenient.
                    Oh man, EPIC!!!! So first you lecture how unethical it is to pirate Windows then say it's ok to pirate movies!!! One of the best trolling I've seen on Phoronix in days!!!

BTW, my personal opinion is that both M$ software and Hollywood movies should be avoided, but if forced to use any for whatever reason then pirating is the way to go. I don't remember who said this first, but I saw it some years ago on some forum and it's absolutely genius: "The only thing worse then using Windows is paying for it".

Comment

Usually it is simpler to rent a movie, that does not cost that much usually. It depends if you have got a good video store nearby or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X