Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pankkake View Post
    Oh, I won't take any GitHub project seriously either
    Linux kernel source tree. Contribute to torvalds/linux development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
      Well Linux isn't really GitHub project. It's developed at kernel.org and Linus shared fair bit of criticms against it when they used it as kernel.org was down. That's not to say that there aren't any interesting projects.

It seems to work well as a hosting place, I'm less impressed with the infrastructure to help "develop" things. It's clearly way too easy to create pointless issue requests, and the "pull requests" seem to be actively designed for somebody who pulls without ever even thinking about what he does - which is against everything I believe in as a project manager.

So from the pull request it's actually hard to see *what* somebody asks you to pull. Together with making it trivial to create commits and pull requests entirely in the browser, I think it's much too easy to do bad-quality requests.

That said, it's working fairly well for the small dive log software I originally put there. For the kernel, I just wish I had a way to disable pull requests entirely, because they are so worthless - even if you disregard any code issues, we just have much higher standards even just for the process of a real kernel pull-request (much more explanation about what the pull contains etc).

That said, I did give them some feedback about the things that really don't work well. So who knows..
      -Linus Torvalds

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        Well Linux isn't really GitHub project. It's developed at kernel.org and Linus shared fair bit of criticms against it when they used it as kernel.org was down. That's not to say that there aren't any interesting projects.
        Yes, and the same is with Bitrig.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
          Not having found the GCC toolchain arduous, or at any rate no more so than any other command line compiler, I can only take you at your word wrt ease of development.

I've always been a performance man, I care about that 10%.

When LLVM/Clang exceeds GCC in speed of generated code I will probably switch.
          This is true only if you use current versions of GCC.

With the BSD's refusing to upgrade past 4.2 (the last GPL2 version) for political reasons, it makes a lot of sense for them to all switch over to LLVM quickly now.

Comment

Working...
          X