Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN

Phoronix: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN

When sending over the Intel Ivy Bridge kit back in April, Intel also included an engineering sample of a PCI Express x1 WiFi adapter that is part of their "Desktop Intel WiFi - 2012" platform. Does this Intel 802.11n WLAN adapter work as well under Linux as their open-source graphics driver?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Woah, no benchmarks?

Comment

Traded up the ralink on my lenovo laptop for an Intel Ultimate-N 6300 for about 25? or so, it was the best decision I ever made.
      Greatly recommended! Finally stopped hunting for ethernet cables at home.

Comment

Intel makes *excellent* network cards

I've used both wired gigabit Intel cards and wireless Intel adapters and the results have been uniformly excellent. They work at full speed, support all the features you want, and the drivers are 100% open source. I've had less pleasant experiences with some other vendords, particularly with Wifi cards that can be flaky. Even though the Intel cards cost a little more, it is 100% worth it to get them and not have to worry about networking.

Comment

@Michael: The model numbers of the adapters that you are referring to, are laptop adapters. The 6205 is the only one mentioned on their website which also has a desktop version.

Comment

Do the drivers work for being an Access Point?

A couple years ago I struggled with two different wifi cards, wanting to use either one to make a computer (running Ubuntu 10.04) be an access point. The drivers worked fine in the sense of being able to attach to other APs, but I found out there are a lot of wifi drivers which can only do that; they lack some feature (don't remember what it's called) to be APs themselves.

That was a surprise, and one of the sourest (and I don't mean this in the lambic sense) Linux experiences I've had in many years. I ended up buying a separate appliance, practically a whole (if tiny) little computer, dedicated to letting my wifi clients talk to that server. Another minor hop on the network (not that I care much about that), another enclosure, another wall wart power supply, another ethernet cable to contribute to the rats nest, and another ~$150 expenses, all to deal with the shortcoming of some wifi drivers.

Anyone know about this Intel card's drivers? Can it be used to build an AP? If I knew of any specific product that Just Works (completely, not just as a supplicant) I'd toss my AP in a heartbeat.

Comment

Wired Ethernet

I rather use wired Ethernet and get gigabit speed.
              Also don't have to worry about people cracking the Wi-Fi, unauthorized guest, surveillance / packet sniffing, interference from phones, microwave ovens, etc.

Heard Wi-Fi latency sucks for online gaming.

Comment

5ghz?

So does this mean the 5ghz channels actually work on this card under Linux?

Comment

Of course. It's Intel.

Seriously, this is really not the only wifi card with working 802.11a on Linux.

Comment

My ThinkPad X220 Tablet has this wifi adapter, you can also use the compat wireless driver, which unlocks more features. Packet injection and even a SoftAP is possible, in parallel. (Arch Linux)

Some benchmarks would have been interesting, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X