Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: Help me help Linux, tell me about Linux problems

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,623

    Default

    You can be sure reinstalling the os is never a good solution. No matter if it is called win or linux. For win you just need to go to your motherboard vendor and fetch the correct sound driver...

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    PS: I like how people tend to have this rosy dream where Windows is perfect and never fails when in reality it's just an operating system and, as such, fails just as much as any other operating system
    I like how people strawman.

    Anyway, thanks guys; you have been EXTREMELY helpful, supportive, and encouraging.

    Bye.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alliancemd View Post
    I proposed a Client based on XMPP to my coordinator, we will talk tomorrow about the ideas I listed(There were 2 more, 1 involving Speech Recognition and is related to High Priority Projects of Linux Foundation). As Linux Foundation says, there are already a lot of IM Clients with Audio/Video capabilities but as I searched, I didn't find a Client for mobile phones which will be open source and have Audio/Video calling. I intend to make an interface(UI) that doesn't use native components(Linux doesn't have something like Cocoa where only by using native components you can make a good looking interface), I don't like at all the experience you can have with current Linux IM Clients. I know that there are some hard core users that love the console and ugly interfaces but anyway, there are more users that love to see something really beautiful...
    I'm no expert in any way compared to a lot of you guys here, but I must say I don't really see the point in this. If your plan to do something for a bachelor, which is a limited time span, creating an IM client doesn't seem like the best option. Even if you make something that is up to par with todays alternatives, it won't take long after your time window closes before your application is no longer developped and becomes irrelevant. If IM is the way you want to go, at the very least work on improving something that will continue on even without you.

    As to answer the actual question posed in the first post, I'm going to think about it for a little while

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    I agree. Another IM software sounds quite useless to me. No one needs that.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    120

    Default Re

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I agree. Another IM software sounds quite useless to me. No one needs that.
    That's the response to everything...
    I said that a guy chose to make a protocol for video/audio calling and the response was something like this "Another video/audio protocol sounds quite useless to me. No one needs that. Instead, as suggested before, a CLIENT for the voice libs, xmpp libs SIP libs would be much more needed.".
    I said that I could make a Client for voice libs, for example based on XMPP and here it is your response.

    I searched 2 weeks for projects to make, there is nothing I could invent new without access to hardware or relations with big companies.
    I had a few great ideas but without a lab and a big team of developers and mathematicians is not possible.
    Theoretically every one(students) in my University at this stage should have 2 years of programming experience, the projects are for 1 person, what do you expect a student without access to hardware, lab, big team and time, to invent?
    A lot of students picked projects I was doing in 1-2 weeks 3 years ago when I was in College.
    I love to be challenged with hard problems but there was no option for me without the resources listed above...
    So I started to search how I can help Open Source world, found this problem on Linux Foundation's high priority list...
    Took a look at the current options and those are just plain useless. If you want the IM to be successful you have to make sure it has Audio/Video capabilities and can be used on as much platforms. Current Open Source alternatives start just now to introduce normal Audio/Video support and it's just for Desktops, for mobiles the implementation allows you just to write text... Sure everyone in this case will choose Skype instead.

    Another option for me was to implement another Linux Foundations High Priority project where I had to use Speech Recognition technology, for the basic implementation I could of came with the result in less than 1 week(only for English language with a vocabulary of 60k words) but as much as I would of tried to make it work well it would of never worked well(taking from the experience that Microsoft and Google has with this technology). My coordinator didn't want me to take this one...

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    120

    Default Re

    Quote Originally Posted by hernil View Post
    I'm no expert in any way compared to a lot of you guys here, but I must say I don't really see the point in this. If your plan to do something for a bachelor, which is a limited time span, creating an IM client doesn't seem like the best option. Even if you make something that is up to par with todays alternatives, it won't take long after your time window closes before your application is no longer developped and becomes irrelevant. If IM is the way you want to go, at the very least work on improving something that will continue on even without you.

    As to answer the actual question posed in the first post, I'm going to think about it for a little while
    That's the beauty of Open Source, anyone one can work further on the project.
    And I don't plan to leave the project.

    At the moment I have only 1 problem with this project. I am not sure if I want to make the application look native on every platform(which will look pretty ugly) or just try to make a custom beautiful UI. People like for example Adobe Photoshop custom UI, Autodesk 3dsMax custom UI, custom UI in general but no Linux users... In the Linux community I see a lot of love for what's old and ugly and I am not sure if a custom UI will be welcomed...

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toruń, Poland
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alliancemd View Post
    That's the response to everything...
    I said that a guy chose to make a protocol for video/audio calling and the response was something like this "Another video/audio protocol sounds quite useless to me. No one needs that. Instead, as suggested before, a CLIENT for the voice libs, xmpp libs SIP libs would be much more needed.".
    I said that I could make a Client for voice libs, for example based on XMPP and here it is your response.

    I searched 2 weeks for projects to make, there is nothing I could invent new without access to hardware or relations with big companies.
    I had a few great ideas but without a lab and a big team of developers and mathematicians is not possible.
    Theoretically every one(students) in my University at this stage should have 2 years of programming experience, the projects are for 1 person, what do you expect a student without access to hardware, lab, big team and time, to invent?
    A lot of students picked projects I was doing in 1-2 weeks 3 years ago when I was in College.
    I love to be challenged with hard problems but there was no option for me without the resources listed above...
    So I started to search how I can help Open Source world, found this problem on Linux Foundation's high priority list...
    Took a look at the current options and those are just plain useless. If you want the IM to be successful you have to make sure it has Audio/Video capabilities and can be used on as much platforms. Current Open Source alternatives start just now to introduce normal Audio/Video support and it's just for Desktops, for mobiles the implementation allows you just to write text... Sure everyone in this case will choose Skype instead.

    Another option for me was to implement another Linux Foundations High Priority project where I had to use Speech Recognition technology, for the basic implementation I could of came with the result in less than 1 week(only for English language with a vocabulary of 60k words) but as much as I would of tried to make it work well it would of never worked well(taking from the experience that Microsoft and Google has with this technology). My coordinator didn't want me to take this one...
    Could you hook up into the Telepathy framework, please? I am not even sure what it exactly does, but I would love to see your work integrate with existing programs which utilize Telepathy. Thank you for your wise decision to help the Free Software.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toruń, Poland
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alliancemd View Post
    That's the beauty of Open Source, anyone one can work further on the project.
    And I don't plan to leave the project.

    At the moment I have only 1 problem with this project. I am not sure if I want to make the application look native on every platform(which will look pretty ugly) or just try to make a custom beautiful UI. People like for example Adobe Photoshop custom UI, Autodesk 3dsMax custom UI, custom UI in general but no Linux users... In the Linux community I see a lot of love for what's old and ugly and I am not sure if a custom UI will be welcomed...
    Not exactly "old and ugly". It's about the integrity. We are used to uniform look of applications, so anything with custom UI plainly stands out, which is not always the good characteristic. It is going to be open source, so go for the third option - multi-UI. You write the interface you love to see done and let anybody else to come up with the integrating interfaces. If you do it the right way, your own UI could be adapted rather than creating a new one from scratch.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirager View Post
    Could you hook up into the Telepathy framework, please? I am not even sure what it exactly does, but I would love to see your work integrate with existing programs which utilize Telepathy. Thank you for your wise decision to help the Free Software.
    If I am not wrong Telepathy is only for Linux(because it uses D-bus and D-bus is at this moment only available for Linux). While I mainly do that to help Linux get rid of Skype at the same time I want the application to be Cross-Platform. There are a lot of Windows and Mac users, if they want to talk with someone that's on Linux they should be able to...

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toruń, Poland
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alliancemd View Post
    If I am not wrong Telepathy is only for Linux(because it uses D-bus and D-bus is at this moment only available for Linux). While I mainly do that to help Linux get rid of Skype at the same time I want the application to be Cross-Platform. There are a lot of Windows and Mac users, if they want to talk with someone that's on Linux they should be able to...
    I understand. :/ But! When I finally enough of C and co. then I could push the integration. As you just said - that's the beauty of the open source model!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •