• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogdanbiv View Post
    Not yet, I still get

dh_testdir
    make: dh_testdir: Command not found
    make: *** [configure] Error 127

I'll keep trying though! Maybe it'll tire to death :-).
    apt-get install dh-make

Comment

yay! It works!!! fglrx works!!

yay! It works!!! fglrx works!!
      Thanks for your quick support!

Will write a guide out of this thread and post it back here.
      To install the generated packages one needs to also install libstdc++5 using a dependency management tool.

Since fglrx now works, my card is now more than a coffee heater! I can finally play in Linux, on my new PC!

Comment

How to install Ati Catalyst driver on Ubuntu 7.10 “Gutsy Gibbon”

How to install Ati Catalyst driver on Ubuntu 7.10 “Gutsy Gibbon”
        Prerequisites:
        • you should know how to use a console
        • you should know how to install packages from the command line

Step 1) Install packages need to install the driver using your favourite package management tool (Synaptic, Adept, or apt-get from the command line):
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install dkms libstdc++5 dpkg-dev fakeroot debhelper dh-make build-essential
        dkms makes the kernel modules easier to install
        dpkg-dev provides tools necessary to build packages
        not sure what the other packages do exactly

You will need these packages only later, so while these packages download and install, you can safely go to the next step!

Step 2) If you want to use the latest fglrx driver, you'll have to first stop Ubuntu from managing it itself via its restricted drivers manager. First you backup the current configuration file:
        sudo cp /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules- common.original

Now you open the restricted software manager configuration file by using
        sudo kate /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common.
        Do this by adding fglrx to the DISABLED_MODULES list at the bottom of the file
        Following the example given in that file, add fglrx between the quotes “”. If you have other module names in the string between the quotes, just add the word fglrx somewhere and make sure you keep a space between words.
        Example:
        # ...
        # DISABLED_MODULES="ath_hal fc fglrx ltm nv"
        # ...
        DISABLED_MODULES=”fglrx”

download the file from the AMD website http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...ux-radeon.html

Time to check if those packages at step 1 had installed. If done, close the package management program and proceed to the next step.
        The next steps are to be made in a console window (Konsole, Gterm, basically anything has a prompt and executes shell commands):

Step 3) Go to the directory where you saved the downloaded drivers:
        Code:
        cd /path_to_where_you_saved_the_file
        Generate ubuntu packages for fglrx:
        sh ati-(press tab to get file name) --buildpkg Ubuntu/7.10

You should get this before pressing Enter:
        Code:
        sh ati-driver-installer-8.443.1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/7.10
        (Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same from a driver standpoint). You should obtain these files:
        fglrx-amdcccle_8.443.1-1_i386.deb
        fglrx-installer_8.443.1-1_i386.changes – this is a textfile describing the changes to the packages, not really needed
        fglrx-kernel-source_8.443.1-1_i386.deb
        xorg-driver-fglrx_8.443.1-1_i386.deb
        xorg-driver-fglrx-dev_8.443.1-1_i386.deb

Step 4) Next, install all of the packages you've just generated: sudo dpkg -i package_name.deb (do this for all the .deb files generated by the ati installer) You have to do the xorg driver first, followed then by amdcccle and the kernel source (which compiles automatically if you have dkms set up)
        Code:
        sudo dpkg -i xorg-driver-fglrx_8.443.1-1_i386.deb
        sudo dpkg -i xorg-driver-fglrx-dev_8.443.1-1_i386.deb
        sudo dpkg -i fglrx-amdcccle_8.443.1-1_i386.deb
        sudo dpkg -i fglrx-kernel-source_8.443.1-1_i386.deb
        Step 5) Finally, try
        Code:
        # this seems to only be needed some of the time
        sudo modprobe fglrx
        # this configures X server to use fglrx module 
        # on the second run of this command it says X.org server is already configured 
        aticonfig --initial
        followed by a reboot.

Step 6) To test if everything is fine open the ATI Catalyst Control Center (if you do not see the shortcut you can call amdcccle from the command line). Here you should be able to change settings like Anisotropic Filtering, AntiAliasing.

That's it!

P.S.:-)
        Step 7) Please let me know what you think of this guide and how can I improve it!

One more thing:
        I apologize to AMD for calling their site "broken" in the thread name and the first post.
        --edit: added build-essential to the helper tool packages.
        Last edited by bogdanbiv; 02 January 2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Those directions should work, but i would add build-essential to the list of packages just as a precaution in case some of the required dependencies change.

Comment

Working...
          X