Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Fedora 17: Beefier Than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,646

    Default Fedora 17: Beefier Than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

    Phoronix: Fedora 17: Beefier Than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

    Proper and extensive benchmarks of Fedora 17 against Ubuntu 12.04 LTS are forthcoming, but here's a preview of some results...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExNjQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Fedora 17 was quick to adopt GCC 4.7 where as Ubuntu 12.04 LTS took the conservative approach of living with GCC 4.7
    I think you meant that Ubuntu stuck with GCC 4.6, no? Anyway..
    Thanks for the benchmarks. It's good to see a performance boost with gcc 4.7 and newer kernels, even for Ubuntu users.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    I think you meant that Ubuntu stuck with GCC 4.6, no?
    Ja, fixed thanks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Does Fedora 17 comes with a software center now? I'm sorta attached to Ubuntu or Mint for this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Sorry, I didn't quite get that. The compile bench is faster on Fedora because it's GCC 4.6 vs. 4.7 or because disk access is faster in Beefy Miracle?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I'm sorta attached to Ubuntu or Mint for this.
    The Ubuntu Software Center is being ported to PackageKit as GSOC project so even if there isn't one yet there soon will be.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    585

    Default

    Michael,

    Please consider using Fedora (Or any other Linux distribution that comes in first) the next time you do a Windows / Solaris / BSD vs. Linux benchmark.
    Using the slow(er/est) Linux as yardstick is plain wrong.

    - Gilboa
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX780, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilboa View Post
    Using the slow(er/est) Linux as yardstick is plain wrong.
    It's not plain wrong when Ubuntu Linux is the most widely used desktop Linux distribution out there and there's many derivatives of it... Sure with tweaking and custom package compiling, I'm sure Arch or LinuxFromScratch could be made the fastest, but then not many people would be able to easily and reliably achieve those same results, etc and it would just represent a small minority of individuals.

    Including both Ubuntu and xxxxxxx though in a future comparison against others? Perhaps.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's not plain wrong when Ubuntu Linux is the most widely used desktop Linux distribution out there and there's many derivatives of it... Sure with tweaking and custom package compiling, I'm sure Arch or LinuxFromScratch could be made the fastest, but then not many people would be able to easily and reliably achieve those same results, etc and it would just represent a small minority of individuals.

    Including both Ubuntu and xxxxxxx though in a future comparison against others? Perhaps.
    Here's the thing, given the lack of credible information, the only two means to somehow measure market share is Google trends and Distrowatch, and both are severely broken.
    The only *credible* market share information (in this case, information backed by cold hard cash) comes from either RedHat or SUSE, and neither is being used as the "Linux" yardstick.

    Beyond that, Mint, OpenSUSE and Fedora (just to name a few) are just as easy to use as Ubunutu and both are used by millions and are just as worthy to be the Linux yardstick as Ubunutu. (Again, given the lack of credible usage numbers).

    Having said all that, It's OK to say "I personally prefer Ubunutu, hence I use it", however, if this is indeed the case, I believe this should be stated openly.

    - Gilboa
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX780, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gilboa View Post
    Having said all that, It's OK to say "I personally prefer Ubunutu, hence I use it", however, if this is indeed the case, I believe this should be stated openly.

    That's not at all the case, I'm not an Ubuntu fan boy. I also have Fedora, SUSE, MacOSX, Solaris, etc systems around for PTS and other purposes. My main system is even still running Ubuntu 10.10 since I haven't been too fond of recent Ubuntu releases.

    Edit: And perhaps the stat about usage I care the most about is the OS stats from OpenBenchmarking.org: http://openbenchmarking.org/s/OS since most PTS users are Phoronix readers. So yes, most of the people likely reading the content are using Ubuntu.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •