Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Will Unreal Engine 4 Games Come To Linux?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    296

    Default

    The problem is not a Linux port, but an Api-Less technology ware developers cannot cut OpenGL suport. When you program a game with Unigine, you can compile it for all CPUs Cisc and Risc. It will run equally on GCC or on Windows alternative, but also will run on native Wine because Unigine does not use things that are not present in alternative C,C++ libraries. Regardless if you run Linux or Windows, you will have native both OpenGL and D3D choices,no back-ends, no D3D to OpenGL translations with slow graphics.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Will Unreal Engine 4 Games Come To Linux?
    No.
    /Sorry, couldn't resist.
    DEV-NG: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX680, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    DEV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 5x320GB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711 (^).
    SRV: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 4x2TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64, Dell U2412.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    A company that released an engine that was so modular and so well-designed that its graphics renderer and audio renderer were completely interchangeable with third-party implementations (going so far as to have a third party add support for DirectX 11 in Deus Ex, an Unreal Engine 1 game) can't release UE4 with an OpenGL (probably 3.x or 4.x) renderer?! Come on.

    Epic is even more advanced and experienced now than they were back in the late 90s. What's keeping them from continuing to create cross-platform code, a technique they learned how to do more than 14 years ago?

    Assuming they have the code there, and their OpenGL renderer works (which seems to be the case according to the article), then all they have to do is sell the engine license to someone who's going to create a game, and then we (as a community) are responsible for convincing the licensee to distribute a Linux build. It's really that simple.

    Don't be cynical about it guys. It just takes the right licensee with the right perspective to get a "yes". Imagine a canyon with two cliffs a great distance away, and the two cliffs have been gradually inching closer to one another as the years have gone by. Whereas before bringing your game to Linux was equivalent to jumping 20 meters (bring your pole vault or catapult or cannon), now it's about 3 meters. Hopefully the cliffs will literally meet in a few years' time, but right now it isn't a huge leap for a developer to decide to support Linux. This really seems to be the year of Linux gaming, although I think it's too early to call it the year of the Linux desktop. That, however, is not going to be far behind the deluge of games.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    A company that released an engine that was so modular and so well-designed that its graphics renderer and audio renderer were completely interchangeable with third-party implementations (going so far as to have a third party add support for DirectX 11 in Deus Ex, an Unreal Engine 1 game) can't release UE4 with an OpenGL (probably 3.x or 4.x) renderer?! Come on.

    Epic is even more advanced and experienced now than they were back in the late 90s. What's keeping them from continuing to create cross-platform code, a technique they learned how to do more than 14 years ago?

    Assuming they have the code there, and their OpenGL renderer works (which seems to be the case according to the article), then all they have to do is sell the engine license to someone who's going to create a game, and then we (as a community) are responsible for convincing the licensee to distribute a Linux build. It's really that simple.

    Don't be cynical about it guys. It just takes the right licensee with the right perspective to get a "yes". Imagine a canyon with two cliffs a great distance away, and the two cliffs have been gradually inching closer to one another as the years have gone by. Whereas before bringing your game to Linux was equivalent to jumping 20 meters (bring your pole vault or catapult or cannon), now it's about 3 meters. Hopefully the cliffs will literally meet in a few years' time, but right now it isn't a huge leap for a developer to decide to support Linux. This really seems to be the year of Linux gaming, although I think it's too early to call it the year of the Linux desktop. That, however, is not going to be far behind the deluge of games.
    Of all the games that used UE2 or UE2.5 (the engines behind UT2003, respectively UT2004), how many were actually released for Linux? There is a Mac version of UE3, so the OpenGL renderer is there, still there is no sight of a Linux version of it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mememe View Post
    Of all the games that used UE2 or UE2.5 (the engines behind UT2003, respectively UT2004), how many were actually released for Linux? There is a Mac version of UE3, so the OpenGL renderer is there, still there is no sight of a Linux version of it.
    There was UT obviously, as well as Postal 2 and it's expansion (only $10.26 on Desura!) and older versions of America's Army. There was also a Devastation port that entered beta but then died with it's developer.

    And I think everyone is being a little unfair to Micheal on this one - I actually found this to be a rather balanced article which clearly showed an understanding of the history of the issue. I wish more of the articles were like this.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!
    Posts
    287

    Thumbs up

    Will Unreal Engine 4 Games Come To Linux?
    I God damn hope so! I'm even willing to send $100 to any Kickstarter project (with Epic's blessing) that can port this particular engine to Linux. UE4 will be used for a lot of upcoming games (HUGE title), so getting the engine ported is I think ~ 50% of the work done.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Looks like Stainless Games is using their own engine for Carmageddon: Reincarnation.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Great, now we have a reason for another 50 articles for 5 years talking about how it didn't yet come to Linux.
    QFT.

    Personally I'm still annoyed that I bought UT3 for a premium simply to play on and support Linux gaming, but it never came.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
    QFT.

    Personally I'm still annoyed that I bought UT3 for a premium simply to play on and support Linux gaming, but it never came.
    Well, why didn't you just wait for the Linux client to come before buying the game?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
    QFT.

    Personally I'm still annoyed that I bought UT3 for a premium simply to play on and support Linux gaming, but it never came.
    Support Linux gaming? I think you can't support Linux gaming, if you buy games for Windows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •