No announcement yet.

Open-Source R500 Driver Can Compete With Legacy Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That card is nothing but a joke. fps between 5 and 15? Who wants to play with that?

Comment

Instead of fighting with Q you could share some info, like, future plans for r500, power managment, 2d acceleration, video decoding etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
        Instead of fighting with Q you could share some info, like, future plans for r500, power managment, 2d acceleration, video decoding etc etc.
        Done multiple times already, but here's a summary :

Don't think we have any specific plans for r500. The reported power management issues seem to be largely on newer hardware so far.

We are working on improvements to power management but hard to give ETAs because it depends on what info we end up being able to release and when.

No specific plans for 2D acceleration AFAIK but periodically new DEs and apps use the accel in new ways and bottlenecks occur, and in those cases we usually try to pitch in and help speed up whatever has become a problem. Are you talking specifically about r3xx-5xx (which has dedicated 2D acceleration hardware) or r6xx and higher (which does not, and therefore uses the 3D engine for everything) ?

Video decoding has been discussed at length in the last week or so -- Christian has been working on it or a while, but that work is speculative in the sense that we don't know if we will be able to release it. The day we know for sure, you will know as well.
        Last edited by bridgman; 08 June 2012, 01:21 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Originally posted by Qaridarium
          irrelevent blather about what OS our admin systems use and the fact that I have a BluRay player in my home system
          Best post summary ever.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            No specific plans for 2D acceleration AFAIK but periodically new DEs and apps use the accel in new ways and bottlenecks occur, and in those cases we usually try to pitch in and help speed up whatever has become a problem. Are you talking specifically about r3xx-5xx (which has dedicated 2D acceleration hardware) or r6xx and higher (which does not, and therefore uses the 3D engine for everything) ?
            Has any further thought gone into 2D for SI?

Will AMD be working on improving the xa state tracker, or going to some other solution?

Comment

Some discussions, but I think the overall plan is more like :

1. Figure out why the 3D is still hanging
              2. Celebrate; take the rest of the weekend off
              3. Look at 2D some more
              Test signature

Comment

Fantastic stuff.

This same sort of thing happened with the R200 generation of cards. The OSS driver eventually got to the point were it was on the same performance level and had much higher levels of compatibility then the original hacked proprietary drivers that people managed to get running in LInux.

It was to the point were some hard-core people still preferred R200 series cards up until a couple years ago when it became impossible to get new hardware with AGP slots.

It seemed certain alliances with Microsoft over Xbox 360 and the rise of the popularity of DRM systems really put a kabosh on any sort of proper Linux support by ATI.

The sign that Linux and X devs finally got R500 series caught up is a fantastic thing.

Oh and Q,
                I hear that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_pharmacology is helpful.
                you may have nice or insightful things to say, but it all lost when you act like a maniac in every single post.

Comment

Reality Check

Q is certainly a bit hard to understand at times.

But one thing is for sure, AMD and their apologists are just clowns.

Every SINGLE thing I ever said about the radeon driver has come to pass. It is going backwards. And no amount of lies and stupidity will ever fix it.

Comment

hey bridgeman, can you tell the hardware designers and whoever is responsible for designing the end user video cards to stop taking up 2 whole expansion slots. like, i could understand for the dual chips cards and maybe even the top of the line flagship cards but cmon, even mid grade these days are dual slot. i use nvidia parts so maybe its just worse with them, but i remember when i did my first computer build and i put a geforce 6600gt in it and it was sigle slot, that was a upper mid range card then, now, even lower mid range cards are 2 slots, wtf.

now, why even design a motherboard with the pcie1x slots under and 16x slot since anyone using a pcie slot for a video card is prolly gunna stick a mid to high end card in there since the low end cards are outpaced by the cpu+gpu combos that are now manditory since nobody wants to make just a cpu anymore.

oh, and whats your views on openMAX as a cross platform video acceleration api and will anyone ever care to use it?

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
                      Every SINGLE thing I ever said about the radeon driver has come to pass. It is going backwards. And no amount of lies and stupidity will ever fix it.
                      I'm in a weird mood right now, so I'll indulge in some troll-feeding and let you humor me. So here we go:

Show me your posts where you were saying this stuff about radeon, then show me how exactly they came to pass. Then point out the supposed "lies". Come on, let me see it. Humor me.
                      Last edited by Gusar; 08 June 2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X