No announcement yet.

Canonical Touts Its New Microsoft Partnership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said "you" in reference to the Phoronix staff as a whole. I have nothing against you personally. I would like to note, however, that you're the one making personal attacks here, not I. I am merely expressing my disappointment with the author's choice of headline, as this has happened many times before.
    And for the record, no, I never signed the Code of Conduct.

My apologies for interrupting your discussion. I have no interest in starting a flame war; this will be my last reply in the thread.

Comment

This is great

It is a win/win for Ubuntu and Microsoft.

Azure will be more appealing since you now can run a mix of both Windows and Linux.
      People who pick a cloud provider ain't likely to switch from Linux to Windows just for that cloud provider, they would rather pick another cloud provider. So having Linux support can get Azure more customers.

About Microsoft Azure, they have two data centers in Europe, two in America and two in Asia. Your data is triple backed up and distributed across data centers.
      It provides platform as a service (PaaS), so it is great for .NET developers who just want to develop without caring about maintaining/administrating the servers and such.

For Canonical this is a win, because they signed a deal with one of the worlds biggest software companies.
      It lends them credibility and positions them as a major player in the enterprise Linux world. Before it was pretty much Red Hat (which are great btw!) you went to if you wanted enterprise Linux.

It also ties Microsoft closer to Linux so they will hopefully be less willing to cause any trouble as a strained relationship could be bad for them.

Some are skeptic to Microsoft (and rightfully so considering their past, and also some current actions). Microsoft is not the same company it was during the 90s, some things have changed, some have not.
      There are still some asshole factions within Microsoft (such as the old Microsoft veterans and Office developers, and Steve Ballmer is an idiot), but now there are some cool factions too, such as the web-related factions.
      If you goto Microsoft conferences and events, you see pretty much all the speakers have GitHub stickers on their laptops, some even Ubuntu stickers and using Google Chrome. You can hear them talking about open source, and even mentioning Linux.
      Microsoft now even releases some open source software, the Azure tools for Linux are released under the Apache License.
      Last edited by uid313; 07 June 2012, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntufriend View Post
        It's headlines like these that make me happy I browse this site with AdBlock enabled.
        Yet another misleading, alarmist mess of an article. You don't deserve my page views.
        Except the article was written in a neutral tone, and the title itself is factual, and relatively neutral..

Let me put this bluntly for you.. This isn't one of Michaels FUD articles, his FUD articles read very differently, however I suppose you could claim it's a troll article, but that falls kind of flat when your cannonical was the ones who asked him to do it in the first place, and the tone of the article is neutral so...

Comment

now we will hear news from a very close future where MS+canonical merge into a Mi-comical and their newest OS uses a linux kernel with all the registry mess and dll stuff from winblows.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            Except the article was written in a neutral tone, and the title itself is factual, and relatively neutral..

Let me put this bluntly for you.. This isn't one of Michaels FUD articles, his FUD articles read very differently, however I suppose you could claim it's a troll article, but that falls kind of flat when your cannonical was the ones who asked him to do it in the first place, and the tone of the article is neutral so...
            This article was essentially a Canonical press release. I personally feel there wasn't much there - and if Michael did want to announce this, it would have been more interesting to focus on the multiple linux distros that are involved and looking at the larger picture rather than just copy/pasting the ubuntu press release - but I don't know how anyone could call this a FUD article or misleading.

Comment

Well, another Linux distro heading the way of Suse

Too bad Red Hat and now Ubuntu are leading the charge towards oblivion, same way Novel did! Shame!

Oh well... Thank GOD there are a TON of other TRUE Linux distros out there. Stallman, in all his esoteric madness was quite right.... About a great many things!

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntufriend View Post
                It's headlines like these that make me happy I browse this site with AdBlock enabled.
                Yet another misleading, alarmist mess of an article. You don't deserve my page views.
                I'm happy as well. This site serves well when comes to informations about graphic stack and some Linux news, but on the other side it's full of shitty tabloid articles.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  It is a win/win for Ubuntu and Microsoft.

For Canonical this is a win, because they signed a deal with one of the worlds biggest software companies.
                  It lends them credibility and positions them as a major player in the enterprise Linux world. Before it was pretty much Red Hat (which are great btw!) you went to if you wanted enterprise Linux.
                  tbh I think its suse who really done it right: http://blog.susestudio.com/2012/06/m...re-clouds.html

you can make custom images as you please with susestudio and pop them on azure, now that I find pretty cool, make the image with the software you need for your specific task them let azure run it.

Comment

Working...
                  X