Linux 3.5 Can Massively Boost AMD Radeon Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firmware

I've already tried building and installing 3.5-rc1 already, but I have some missing firmware. Can someone tell me where I can find this firmware?

ARUBA_rlc.bin
    ARUBA_me.bin
    ARUBA_pfp.bin
    VERDE_rlc.bin
    VERDE_mc.bin
    VERDE_ce.bin
    VERDE_me.bin
    VERDE_pfp.bin
    PITCAIRN_rlc.bin
    PITCAIRN_mc.bin
    PITCAIRN_ce.bin
    PITCAIRN_me.bin
    PITCAIRN_pfp.bin
    TAHITI_rlc.bin
    TAHITI_mc.bin
    TAHITI_ce.bin
    TAHITI_me.bin
    TAHITI_pfp.bin

Comment

Test signature

Comment

You only need them if you have a Radeon GPU of the Aruba, Verde, Pitcairn or Tahiti family: in short, a 7000 series card. Else, you can ignore the message about missing firmware.

If you really need it, the firmware is here:

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
          You only need them if you have a Radeon GPU of the Aruba, Verde, Pitcairn or Tahiti family: in short, a 7000 series card. Else, you can ignore the message about missing firmware.

If you really need it, the firmware is here:
          http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...radeon;hb=HEAD
          I have a kernel panic on boot related to the radeon drivers... I was assuming it was due to missing firmware. Perhaps the crash is unrelated to the firmware, we'll see once I try again (probably tonight after work).

Comment

Hello,

What are the remaining tasks to improve clocks profiles switching? Is it only bugs fix specificaly to some configuration/VBIOS/GPU model?

I'm asking this because with my RV770 I can switch from default to mid, but when I switch to low I "lose" my display. mid and low have the same voltage, only frequences changes. So I guess there is a workaround to implement, the Windows Catalyst uses the low profile.

How can I get some information useful to understand what is wrong when switching to low profile?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
              If you don't care about using the catalyst proprietary driver on Windows, you could also use that driver on Linux to get nearly the same performance.
              But it's not as straight forward. I tried once on debian squeeze, getting xvba-va-driver and some other stuff was very painful. Anyways, for now I'm going to stick with Win7, may be i'll check back sometime for the opensource driver.

Thanks all!

Comment

A lot of people are feeling left behind

Dear Phoronix,

I have this one little thing to say here that might be a good thing to consider once in a while:

For a lot of people, FGLRX won't work. But that is fine for us, because of course we have you and your awesome open source drivers - Thank you for this!!

But:

For some people, just some, even your awesome radeon driver does not work properly - Sometimes graphics are glitchy to a point, where it becomes unsuable, sometimes it seems impossible to properly set up the driver (e.g. on sandy- and ivy-machines). And sometimes, the radeon driver does not at all seem to be able to execute proper power-saving routines. (And don't even get started about WINE and radeon.)

I myself am not to much of a hot-shot when it comes to technical things - but I do know, that for the almost 3 years since I started to use linux now, the problems with AMD-cards have always been the same: Incompatibility (with everything) and power saving (battery life and noise)

Look, I know it must be a real pain to get things done when the actual manufacturer shows little support for an open source project. BUT: In these years I have gotten to know some people, who just don't believe anymore they will EVER see reliable Linux support for their AMD hardware. It's the known "it-works-for-some-but-not-for-all" effect - Some get a more or less good 3d acceleration out of radeon - and some don't.

But instead of closing this gap, it keeps on growing ever larger! Of course, everybody is happy when radeon keeps up the pace of performance with fglrx. But this doesn't help people who don't get any acceleration at all! So, we're all happy about huge performance increases with kernel 3.5 . But some people are still completely excluded from those benefits.

People are really getting alienated - not just by you, but by the whole linux-community at large.

For example: Starting with Torvalds' statements on the new kernels, over to the Ubuntu-Team, over to the WINE-community, over to phoronix, people have been keeping on claiming: "Finally - Sandybridge and Ivybridge support is working now!" - and have thus been turning to other issues.

Truth is: For a lot of machines, it doesn't work at all.

Truth is: If you've got an AMD card in you machine and you're not one of the lucky ones where it works out-of-the-box, you're pretty much screwed. VESA for you it is.

And: You won't get any help, because the people from your OS, say, Ubuntu are saying: "What do you want? - It works - it's not our fault", while torvalds is saying "What do you want? - It works - it's not my fault", while phoronix are saying "What do you want? - It works - it's not our fault" while the guys from WINE are saying "What do you want? - It works - it's not our fault".... you get the idea, I think.

So please - please help make it work, before you make it work fast.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by mrhat View Post
                  So please - please help make it work, before you make it work fast.
                  Well said!

Comment

Other than lack of support for some of the newer generations, I am unsure what problems you are referring to. The only times I have had any real troubles with the radeon drivers were on a machine where everything did not work right - the motherboard was made wrong. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones you mentioned, but I am not sure what specific problems you are referring to.

Comment

Thinkpad X120e AMD Fusion E-350, here. Kernel 3.3, Archlinux. Everything works, even PM, but slow ofcource.

Comment

Working...
                      X