Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.5 Can Massively Boost AMD Radeon Graphics

Phoronix: Linux 3.5 Can Massively Boost AMD Radeon Graphics

The Linux 3.5 kernel is capable of delivering some massive performance gains for some of the more recent generations of ATI/AMD Radeon graphics processors. Here's some benchmarks showing the hefty performance gains found when using the latest kernel that is still being developed.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's impressive. Here I thought that only small improvements are left to gain, but no! I am happy for this development. Keep up the good work, guys. I also hope for open drivers to follow the path of workstation quality drivers. I mean "no lossy optimizations".

Comment

All the bad news about AMD Radeons, and now comes the strawberries and cream.

I've always purchased Radeons, but I sometimes play Everquest and the graphics messes up with this line of gfx cards. I was thinking of going Nvidia for a season. What will sway me is the price of the GFX660 and AMD's public relations and driver quality. I will be upgrading when GFX660 comes out and it will vs the HD7870 or possibly the HD7950 if the prices have shifted. Looking to spend about $280-350AUD.

Comment

Forgot to say...

Finally the work pays off for Linux, with the last few years seeing massive changes in GFX rendering direction. It can only get better!

Thanks to all the coders !!!

Comment

With all the talk about Diablo3, I pulled out my NWN1 CDs and installed it as wine version because I couldn't get the Linux installer to work (uses OpenGL 1.2 ). Works fine on my NI radeon.

Now I am addicted again and in love with Aribeth de Tylmarande...

Comment

See to believe

Well, in opposition to the hype I've seen in the article, I'll take a more "conservative" approach: when 3.5 stable arrives, I'll give a new try to the FOSS ATI drivers (I went back to catalyst because of VAAPI and proper PM). From what I've seen, we'll have better 3D performance from now on (but does that apply to r600/r700 cards? I didn't see any card of that generation tested in the article...).

Furthermore, I'm also expecting that the "default" profile will stop using always the maximum frequency of the GPU, because that kills the GPU lifetime. (Nouveau does the opposite, btw...)

Finally, in the medium/long run, It'd be nice to have H.264 VDPAU/VAAPI/UVD acceleration. That wold be nice for those who still have weak CPUs (e.g. AMD E-350/Low-End Llanos/Nehalmen Core2Duos).

Cheers

Comment

Really impressive stuff . Even more if on all those tests the "tweaks" were disabled. Congrats to the developers.
              Last edited by 123_qwe; 07 June 2012, 09:27 AM.

Comment

I <3 radeon devs. Thanks so much for your great efforts! With these backendmap fixes, we will be seeing hi-z merged soon! Thanks Jerome!

This is a great time to have an AMD graphics card on linux!

Comment

Hmmm, Now I'm interested

When can we expect to see some results where the OS graphics drivers can compete with the FGLRX binaries?
                  Also, we can we expect some benchmark comparisons? I'd love to switch to the OS drivers on my AMD ASUS 6950 DC II .
                  Can and will it ever support eyefinity?

These are my top questions. ;D

Comment

Michael publishes radeon vs Catalyst benchmarks periodically; IIRC the last one was in the last month or two.

Here's the last one :

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AFAIK the core Eyefinity functionality (lots of screens working together) is available today in the open drivers. Some of the proprietary features, eg automated bezel compensation and convincing the games to keep their HUD on one screen) are not available, although I think you can use randr functions for bezel compensation.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 07 June 2012, 10:42 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X