Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Goes Platinum For Linux Foundation

Phoronix: Samsung Goes Platinum For Linux Foundation

Samsung Electronics has become a platinum sponsor of the Linux Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hell, it's about time!

'Nuff said...

Comment

Awesome!

This is awesome!
      It shows commitment!

Samsung is getting more and more appealing to me.
      When looking to buy hardware in the future, I will likely look for Samsung.

Comment

Happy to be an S2 user, then.

Comment

I was really surprised when I talked with libv about Samsung that they'd participate also in SW/driver development. From what I knew Samsung was a horrible Windows company selling their (quite interesting laptops) with windows only and making hell's gates open if you would try with a refund.
          Good to read that they're now showing commitment to Linux. And platinum sponsor is quite a number. There are few of them.

Pt:
          IBM, Fujitsu, NEC, intel, Oracle (lolwut???), Qualcomm and now Samsung.

Au:
          AMD, China Mobile, Cisco, Huawei, ETRI, Google, hp, hitachi, Motorola, NetApp, Nokia, Sony, SuSE, NYSE Tech, Panasonic, Toyota

And quite a number of Ag members (among them VIA (lol) or Broadcom)
          It makes me wonder that some enterprises prefer to be in a board like this, spending quite an amount of money but why they then don't develop free drivers or share specs...
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            I was really surprised when I talked with libv about Samsung that they'd participate also in SW/driver development. From what I knew Samsung was a horrible Windows company selling their (quite interesting laptops) with windows only and making hell's gates open if you would try with a refund.
            Good to read that they're now showing commitment to Linux. And platinum sponsor is quite a number. There are few of them.

Pt:

Au:
            AMD, China Mobile, Cisco, Huawei, ETRI, Google, hp, hitachi, Motorola, NetApp, Nokia, Sony, SuSE, NYSE Tech, Panasonic, Toyota

And quite a number of Ag members (among them VIA (lol) or Broadcom)
            It makes me wonder that some enterprises prefer to be in a board like this, spending quite an amount of money but why they then don't develop free drivers or share specs...
            i don't think most of Linux Foundations sponsors care much about desktop computers.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              i don't think most of Linux Foundations sponsors care much about desktop computers.
              True.
              Luckily it may benefit desktop Linux anyways.
              If Samsung for example, works on code for their mobile devices that are shared with desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Pt:
                They have there own Linux distribution, they did and do support the development of btrfs, they support running there database products on Linux, ...
                No idea why this is so surprising ... the Java vs. Android lawsuit has nothing to do with Oracle's other contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                  They have there own Linux distribution, they did and do support the development of btrfs, they support running there database products on Linux, ...
                  No idea why this is so surprising ... the Java vs. Android lawsuit has nothing to do with Oracle's other contributions.
                  I know about their "unbreakable" and btrfs (Chris Mason). But the Openoffice horror show and the whole overtake of Sun & Java has left a lot of bloody traces.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                  X