Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Open Connect Network: FreeBSD, Not Linux

Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    Why is this news getting negative responses? What's wrong with using FreeBSD, why do so many seem to dislike it?

Although I use neither Netflix nor FreeBSD myself, I think this is good news. It's always nice to see a company actually 'getting' the open source model and realising the importance of working as a community and contributing their changes upstream.
    It's not wrong, but it's a political decision in this case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix#Linux_support

Cool Yay, FreeBSD...

OK, I'm installing FreeBSD now so I can FINALLY enjoy mah Netflix!!!111elevenOne

Oh, wait...

It's not like FreeBSD doesn't work, it probably does but let's be honest here. They didn't choose FreeBSD based on technical merit alone, they chose it because of the license which allows them to do whatever the heck they want. Linux is far more mature and I'm sure would have required less work but companies like Netflix like to keep their proprietary stuff safe which the BSD license guarantees.
    Anyway I'm still going to use Linux and that famous bay , I hear it has free, no DRM movies ...
    Competition in general though is not bad so bring it on FreeBSD ... so far compared to Linux I'm not impressed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mcirsta View Post
    They didn't choose FreeBSD based on technical merit alone, they chose it because of the license which allows them to do whatever the heck they want. Linux is far more mature and I'm sure would have required less work but companies like Netflix like to keep their proprietary stuff safe which the BSD license guarantees.
    That seems like a reasonably fair assessment.

Competition in general though is not bad so bring it on FreeBSD ... so far compared to Linux I'm not impressed at all.
    My only complaints with FreeBSD are that it doesn't have a driver for my sound card (CMI8788 chipset) and that the graphics drivers are very outdated (I can't use r600g). Skype and Steam would be nice, but I can't blame the lack of those on the FreeBSD devs :-) With respect to these complaints:

• There is a work-in-progress driver for the CMI8788 chipset, so that will get fixed.
    • The KMS patches from Konstantin Belousov have been committed to the FreeBSD-HEAD.
    • There's still work to be done on Radeon KMS (Konstantin's updates were for Intel cards) and then there's TTM, but he said me may work on these after the Intel patches are stable.

I'm waiting patiently until these are done - the sound card driver is the killer, but the r600c driver is good enough for me to cope with.

It's not like FreeBSD doesn't work, it probably does but let's be honest here. They didn't choose FreeBSD based on technical merit alone, they chose it because of the license which allows them to do whatever the heck they want. Linux is far more mature and I'm sure would have required less work but companies like Netflix like to keep their proprietary stuff safe which the BSD license guarantees.
    GPL covers distribution, not usage: Netflix could take the kernel, modify it at will and use it for its CDN without sharing a single line of code as long as they don't redistribute it. They could even contribute back improvements where appropriate while keeping the "secret" bits to themself.

Quote Originally Posted by tettamanti View Post
    GPL covers distribution, not usage: Netflix could take the kernel, modify it at will and use it for its CDN without sharing a single line of code as long as they don't redistribute it. They could even contribute back improvements where appropriate while keeping the "secret" bits to themself.
    Yes, but do they know that? It's not like there's a shortage of people with some misunderstandings of what the GPL actually does and doesn't do.

Default Great

This is great!
    While I myself do not use FreeBSD, I am very happy for FreeBSD!

It is great that such a large company decided to use them, and its great that Netflix is open sourcing their hardware and their software!
    Hats of to them!

I wish Netflix and FreeBSD good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    crazycheese: How do the above fit with your description of them as "all-proprietary".
    Easy - ring a bell, when you actually can WATCH netflix on BSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Yes, but do they know that? It's not like there's a shortage of people with some misunderstandings of what the GPL actually does and doesn't do.
    My Linux/GCC-powered Toshiba TV says they do.

Default Linux morons

The same old Linux morons in this forum as usual.