Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix Open Connect Network: FreeBSD, Not Linux

Phoronix: Netflix Open Connect Network: FreeBSD, Not Linux

This week Netflix announced their Open Connect Network as their own open CDN (Content Distribution Network), but rather than using Linux as the base for this open-source platform, they decided to use FreeBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the good-old days it was news when a company chose Linux, now it's news when it doesn't choose Linux. That's progress.

Comment

software raid-1 for linux?

Hi, I would like to know out if I can add a 2nd SSD as a RAID-1 drive to an already working drive that is not in RAID-1 using something like gmirror?

Thanks!

Comment

Google uses Linux, who needs Netflix

Hey, Google and Youtube uses Linux and it has way more traffic, who gives a sh** about Netflix in this case

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
          Hey, Google and Youtube uses Linux and it has way more traffic, who gives a sh** about Netflix in this case
          Netfix are just damn fanboys. They mentioned IPv6 which Linux support first. They also want to have additional work:

As we find and fix stability and performance issues, we're aggressively pushing those changes into FreeBSD so that everyone can benefit from them, just as we benefit from the contributions of the rest of the FreeBSD ecosystem. We're proud to be a part of the community, and look forward to a long-term relationship with FreeBSD.
          You must be proud of being morons.

Comment

Funny fact - DRM-rotten all-proprietary Netflix is a BSD lover. Abuse-friendly OS at its best!

Comment

Good news. Linux is not getting abused by a company promoting DRM and vendor lock-in.

FreeBSD is. Oh the irony; fits with the license ;-)

Comment

As we find and fix stability and performance issues, we're aggressively pushing those changes into FreeBSD so that everyone can benefit from them
                Netflix has decided to open-source their hardware and software design to Open Connect Network.
                We welcome commentary and improvements, which will be shared with the community with the goal of a faster, less expensive Internet for all.
                crazycheese: How do the above fit with your description of them as "all-proprietary".

RealNC: Isn't this just "being used in accordance with the licence"? I don't see how that qualifies as abuse.

kraftman: Do you honestly believe that they evaluated Linux and FreeBSD and said "well, FreeBSD will require more work, but let's go for it anyway". As irritating as their Silverlight-based service is, I imagine they're bright enough to find the best operating system to meet their needs - it's not as though they're unaware of Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                  kraftman: Do you honestly believe that they evaluated Linux and FreeBSD and said "well, FreeBSD will require more work, but let's go for it anyway". As irritating as their Silverlight-based service is, I imagine they're bright enough to find the best operating system to meet their needs - it's not as though they're unaware of Linux.
                  I don't believe they evaluated Linux. They sound like old FreeBSD friends and they were probably using it all the time. Furthermore, their announcement sounds very strange (like attack on Linux) and makes impression they prefer to support Linux competition. While they're using MS tech like Silverlight and FreeBSD is very MS friendly I wouldn't be surprised if MS has something to do with this.

Comment

Why is this news getting negative responses? What's wrong with using FreeBSD, why do so many seem to dislike it?

Although I use neither Netflix nor FreeBSD myself, I think this is good news. It's always nice to see a company actually 'getting' the open source model and realising the importance of working as a community and contributing their changes upstream.

Comment

Working...
                    X