• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    the point is:

mazumoto:"@TemplarGr: you didn't even look at the patch, did you ? It says:
    v3 fix random issue on r6xx/r7xx"

now you get HiZ for your hd3000 card for free and you still blame the opensource driver ?
    i already installed the 3,5 kernel and tested it and its "faster" what do you want more?
    "For free"? Seriously? And i thought i had payed for the hardware... And it didn't have a sticker "It only works for Windows" on the box...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      I should create one similar for DOUBLE FANBOI, it suits you...

Now, where do you disagree?
      When i see that Evergreen matures to OpenGL 3.0 first or gets Hyper-Z(a really important feature) first (not to mention other performance improvements etc) i feel cheated. It is like AMD showing us older generation users to buy newer cards.
      You're absolutely right. Do you know that my old ATI 7000 card doesn't support GL3 yet? I feel cheated. Why in the world are they working on evergreen hardware when they should be focusing on my r100 support?

*****RAGE*****

Not to mention the fact that you are blaming AMD for doing this work, when it was actually worked on by a Red Hat employee. So shouldn't you be pissed at Red Hat? Bad Red Hat, Bad! Stop working on drivers. Be more like Ubuntu and don't do any work on the underlying system!

And that's not even the dumbest part of your comments. I won't go on any further, because I'm sure you'll drag this out for days like any good troll.

It is ok if for you this is ok, but for me, this kind of "attention" from AMD warrants an NVIDIA purchace next time...
      Trust me, we are all looking forward to that day.

"For free"? Seriously? And i thought i had payed for the hardware... And it didn't have a sticker "It only works for Windows" on the box...
      But it didn't have a "Supports Linux 3.5" sticker either. Use it with whatever version of linux was around when you bought the card, and it works.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 06 June 2012, 04:13 AM.

Comment

This is one of the rare times i want to complain to opensource devs, but i can't help it. While you have are gratitude for your work, there are some things that shouldn't be happening.

Why HD2000-4000 are second rate citizens? First AMD drops support in Catalyst for them. And while it would make sense to have a focused opensource driver for these generations to provide legacy support, it seems that the opensource driver makes a priority Evergreen and above generations too... A while ago it was the news that Evergreen would have official OpenGl 3.0 support on by default, earlier than the older generations(?), and now from what agd5f says:

[truncated because entire argument is BS]
        I'd like you to read two things here

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do you happen to notice something? Oh what's that say? that pre-evergreen hardware has had Hyper-Z first, and that it's largely stabilized whereas Evergreen and above is still in heavy development? :shock: Could it be this man is either A. Trolling, or B. Hasn't the slightest clue what he's talking about because he clearly failed to do his research? :horror:

seriously though.. Quit trolling or at least do some research before you try doing so.

Comment

What about R500 Hi-Z instead? Any plan to enable it?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

r300 also need hacks ? How to enable hiz for default (for all apps)?
            Last edited by Tommy666; 06 June 2012, 05:26 AM.

Comment

This is one of the rare times i want to complain to opensource devs, but i can't help it. While you have are gratitude for your work, there are some things that shouldn't be happening.

Why HD2000-4000 are second rate citizens? First AMD drops support in Catalyst for them. And while it would make sense to have a focused opensource driver for these generations to provide legacy support, it seems that the opensource driver makes a priority Evergreen and above generations too... A while ago it was the news that Evergreen would have official OpenGl 3.0 support on by default, earlier than the older generations(?), and now from what agd5f says:

a) Either evergreen will have support for hiz first

b) Or hiz support for hd2000-4000 was fine but there were issues on Evergreen so they decided to hold it back...

Either way, it is a bad attitude towards older generation users. Why Evergreen and newer are a priority, when they can use the Catalyst and are much newer chips? Seriously, i own a 3870 and it is about 2 year older than the Evergreen family. When i see that Evergreen matures to OpenGL 3.0 first or gets Hyper-Z(a really important feature) first (not to mention other performance improvements etc) i feel cheated. It is like AMD showing us older generation users to buy newer cards. Well, if that is what they want, it would be better to just ask for it, not this way... And why upgrade? My 3870 does its job perfectly...
              I think you are forgetting how the developers work and assuming conspiracy where none exists. In general they will work on a new feature for all generations (in this case 2xxx through NI) but things will start working on one generation before others as a consequence of generation-to-generation quirks. The developers don't choose this, it just works out that way.

If you are saying "developers should be forbidden from working on newer generations until everything is finished on older generations" then the overall rate of progress would drop dramatically, since it's generally a lot faster to write code for a new feature designed to work across all the generations supported by the driver than to only look at older parts. In this case hyper-z and the backend work are pretty interdependent IIRC and both were happening at the same time, so it seems to make sense that Jerome would have had an Evergreen card in his system when it all came together.

Anyways, key point here is that most of these features are implemented for multiple generations at the same time, and it's luck of the draw which generation starts working first. If you assume conspiracy or lack of care for older hardware each time that happens you're going to be whipsawing between happiness and misery for no good reason. You probably owe the developers a bit of an apology.
              Test signature

Comment

I tried the patch, but unlike kernel 3.5 which gives me a huge performance improvement, I don't see any performance improvements with this patch.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  I tried the patch, but unlike kernel 3.5 which gives me a huge performance improvement, I don't see any performance improvements with this patch.
                  Looking through the patch, it looks like the patch disables HyperZ by default:

Code:
                  diff --git a/src/gallium/drivers/r600/r600_pipe.c b/src/gallium/drivers/r600/r600_pipe.c
                  index e0ee823..7004ff9 100644
                  --- a/src/gallium/drivers/r600/r600_pipe.c
                  +++ b/src/gallium/drivers/r600/r600_pipe.c
                  @@ -942,6 +942,7 @@ struct pipe_screen *r600_screen_create(struct radeon_winsys *ws)

rscreen->use_surface_alloc = debug_get_bool_option("R600_SURF", TRUE);
                   	rscreen->glsl_feature_level = debug_get_bool_option("R600_GLSL130", TRUE) ? 130 : 120;
                  +	rscreen->use_hyperz = debug_get_bool_option("R600_HYPERZ", FALSE);
                  If you run your program (example = glxgears) with
                  Code:
                  R600_HYPERZ=1 glxgears
                  , then maybe performance will change...

From the Bug thread on FD.o, it sounds like all of the kernel patches are upstream, but I haven't checked if the DDX patches have all made it there yet. If this doesn't work, or throws errors, you might want to check that.
                  Last edited by Veerappan; 06 June 2012, 09:05 AM.

Comment

a) Either evergreen will have support for hiz first

b) Or hiz support for hd2000-4000 was fine but there were issues on Evergreen so they decided to hold it back...

Either way, it is a bad attitude towards older generation users. Why Evergreen and newer are a priority, when they can use the Catalyst and are much newer chips? Seriously, i own a 3870 and it is about 2 year older than the Evergreen family. When i see that Evergreen matures to OpenGL 3.0 first or gets Hyper-Z(a really important feature) first (not to mention other performance improvements etc) i feel cheated. It is like AMD showing us older generation users to buy newer cards. Well, if that is what they want, it would be better to just ask for it, not this way... And why upgrade? My 3870 does its job perfectly...
                    The Hiz patches add support for all asics supported by r600g (6xx, 7xx, evergreen, NI). Most of the code is shared since the programming model is very similar across generations (in fact it works very similarly in SI). There were various issues with chips from all generations which have finally been solved. It just happened that the last remaining issue was an evergreen one. There was no conscious decision to hold back certain asics.

Also, all r600g chips can support OpenGL 3, no one has said it would be evergreen only.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                      From the Bug thread on FD.o, it sounds like all of the kernel patches are upstream, but I haven't checked if the DDX patches have all made it there yet. If this doesn't work, or throws errors, you might want to check that.
                      You no longer need the ddx patch. It's now self contained in mesa.

Comment

Working...
                      X