An AMD Legacy Driver With X Server 1.12 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
    There seems to be some good news on the performance front for the open source Radeon driver in the 3.5-rc1 kernel:

Vadim benchmarked also:
    Some benchmarks on juniper (5750), fullscreen 1920x1080,
    first result - kernel 3.4.0+ (fb21affa), second - with these patches:

Lightsmark: 91 fps => 123 fps +35%
    Doom3: 74 fps => 101 fps +36%

Can Michael or someone benchmark the 3.5-rc1 kernel and an older kernel (perhaps 3.4) on one of the older cards that is going to be unsupported by Catalyst?
    Sorry no older card to test here. Just to confirm the performance boost on juniper (5750) with 3.5-rc1.

Just ran the benchmark within FEAR @1400x1050 custom settings.

kernel: 3.4 => 3.5-rc1
    -----------------------------------------
    min : 18 fps => 28 fps +55%
    avg : 32 fps => 49 fps +53%
    max: 69 fps => 109 fps +58%

That's quite significant

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      yo know 480p videos work well with XV in the radeon driver and if your vanity needs to run copy-protected DRM-Blue-ray shit you have to buy a new notebook
      I am neither talking about 480p video (any simple dual-core, if not even single-core can decode that) nor about copy-protected BluRay stuff. Nowadays even the more simple video-cameras for home use produce HD stuff (1080i/p) and the HD3200 in my laptop should be able to play that without any problem. If the driver supports it.

Comment

I have an older laptop that I'd love to throw linux on, and save my win7 license for a new machine. But it's got an mobility hd2600, and under linux its been terrible. Catalyst provides decent temps and battery life, but I've had issues with it (and now the hd2000 series isn't even properly supported anymore). The OSS driver is just a no-go. It has acceptable performance for compiz, but anything more than that it struggles. And worst of all the battery life and heat are unusable with the OSS drivers. It will overheat if you so much as look at it wrong, even with the profile forced to low. Dynpm hardly works and causes flickering, and forcing it to low profile noticeably impacts compiz performance.

I ended up just saying "screw this", and buying a cheap intel laptop to use as my linux machine.

Comment

The licence that is printed on the laptop is never used anyway, but oem activation is used. So you already have got a spare licence But of couse especially for laptops a working fglrx driver is needed as the opensource one seems to have got serious issues with power management

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            The licence that is printed on the laptop is never used anyway, but oem activation is used. So you already have got a spare licence But of couse especially for laptops a working fglrx driver is needed as the opensource one seems to have got serious issues with power management
            The laptop actually originally came with vista, and I bought retail windows 7 for it when it came out (had a big student discount at the time)

Comment

wow, did not expect that somebody pays for win

Comment

Working...
              X