Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An AMD Legacy Driver With X Server 1.12 Support

Phoronix: An AMD Legacy Driver With X Server 1.12 Support

Fear not for all of those who have been very angry over AMD dropping the Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 support in the same release as providing X.Org Server 1.12 support, word on the streets of Toronto is that their legacy driver branch does have support for this latest xorg-server release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    can someone please fire the AMD PR department?

this driver politic is just a PR "disaster"
    Didn't they do that already last year? Over 60% of their marketing department got laid off in November of 2011.

Comment

can someone please fire the AMD PR department?

this driver politic is just a PR "disaster"
      AMD's PR department haven't issued any new on the dropping of support. Both these articles have been based on rumour and hearsay to generate some FUD

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        AMD's PR department haven't issued any new on the dropping of support. Both these articles have been based on rumour and hearsay to generate some FUD
        And part of a PR departments work is preventing such disasters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
          And part of a PR departments work is preventing such disasters.
          How should they have done that since the dropping of support is a true story? I doubt that there was really a plan to support X.org server 1.12 in the legacy drivers, they just say that now because they have not expected such amount of previous customers to state that they change to Intel/Nvidia and never buy AMD again. That is the real disaster and the PR department should have foreseen that.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Both these articles have been based on rumour and hearsay to generate some FUD
            ...the success rate of the Phoronix Catalyst news reporting is like 99% and has been for years.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

no its not a true story if a week after that a latency driver popped up with x server 1.12 support
              The first story was not about "no X.Org server 1.12 support", it was a story about not supporting the r600/r700 in the future "main" releases of Catalyst, which was totally true.

and THIS is a PR disaster!
              Exactly. It really seems to me that the PR team has thought: "Whatever, they are the Linux users, they will take what we give them." And after they saw the outcry about that behavior they had to change something very fast.

also why not tell the people something like this: there will be a latency driver update until the opensource driver radeon get some power managment fixes.
              then the people can use the catalyst and after the radeon driver gets usable on notebooks with power management they can switch to the radeon driver.
              Seems to me that you should ask for a job in their PR department. That would have been the right way to do it.

the radeon driver is so close to be a good replacement for the catalyst on hd2000-hd4000 hardware but i can not unterstand why amd don't invest the money to get the last bits done to make it usefull also for notebooks.
              I disagree, it is not only the power management, but also things like video decoding and performance. Well, i don't care much about the performance on my laptop, it is not intended to be used for gaming, but the video decoding thing is definitely something that has to work.

Comment

I would like to see support for the statement that there are people "who have been very angry" over this.
                Does anybody actually care?

I sure don't.
                Blob be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  I would like to see support for the statement that there are people "who have been very angry" over this.
                  Does anybody actually care?

I sure don't.
                  Blob be dead.
                  Follow the link and you will see it. I am one of those people that are angry and care, since the radeon driver is unusable for me due to thermal problems that don't occur with Catalyst.

Comment

This is slightly good news for HD 2000/3000/4000 series owners where the open-source AMD Radeon Linux driver just doesn't cut it yet due to poor performance, missing features (CrossFire, PowerPlay, etc), or bad battery life / thermal performance.
                    Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                    ... it is not only the power management, but also things like video decoding and performance. Well, i don't care much about the performance on my laptop, it is not intended to be used for gaming, but the video decoding thing is definitely something that has to work.
                    There seems to be some good news on the performance front for the open source Radeon driver in the 3.5-rc1 kernel:

and finally Alex and Jerome managed to track down a magic set of bits
                    that on certain rv740 and evergreen cards allow the correct use of the
                    complete set of render backends, this makes the cards operate
                    correctly in a number of scenarios we had issues in before, it also
                    manages to boost speed on benchmarks my large amounts on these
                    specific gpus.

Although this talks about the newer cards, there is this commit:

author Alex Deucher
                    Thu, 31 May 2012 23:00:25 +0000 (19:00 -0400)
                    committer Dave Airlie
                    Fri, 1 Jun 2012 16:00:14 +0000 (17:00 +0100)
                    commit 416a2bd274566a6f607a271f524b2dc0b84d9106
                    tree 502720262c07cdb14bc14155bc8295cc20a7d411
                    parent 95c4b23ec4e2fa5604df229ddf134e31d7b3b378

drm/radeon: fixup tiling group size and backendmap on r6xx-r9xx (v4)

Tiling group size is always 256bits on r6xx/r7xx/r8xx/9xx. Also fix and
                    simplify render backend map. This now properly sets up the backend map
                    on r6xx-9xx which should improve 3D performance.

Vadim benchmarked also:
                    Some benchmarks on juniper (5750), fullscreen 1920x1080,
                    first result - kernel 3.4.0+ (fb21affa), second - with these patches:

Lightsmark: 91 fps => 123 fps +35%
                    Doom3: 74 fps => 101 fps +36%

Signed-off-by: Alex Deucher
                    Signed-off-by: Jerome Glisse
                    Signed-off-by: Dave Airlie

Can Michael or someone benchmark the 3.5-rc1 kernel and an older kernel (perhaps 3.4) on one of the older cards that is going to be unsupported by Catalyst?

Comment

Working...
                    X