Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Hosts: GNOME & Mono Festival of Love

Phoronix: Microsoft Hosts: GNOME & Mono Festival of Love

Coming up in a few weeks will be the "GNOME and Mono Festival of Love", a hack-fest being held at Microsoft's New England Research and Development Center...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and suddenly... Windows 8 is explained.

Comment

Yuk!

Nothing like Microsoft trying to hi-jack a computing festival. I can't help but think that they are supporting this because they know they can win in a lawsuit if anyone tried to use Mono in a commercial product.

It's like an abusive stepfather that's trying to buy your love.

yuk!

Comment

Microsoft, GNOME and Mono in the same spot?

Sounds like a reunion of supervillains. Are the Joker, Lex Luthor and Doctor Octpus invited to the party? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by peppepz View Post
          Sounds like a reunion of supervillains. Are the Joker, Lex Luthor and Doctor Octpus invited to the party? :-)
          I just don't see how GNOME fits in here? Or is it superman in disguise seeing what they are up to?

Comment

I can't help thinking: "Embrace, extend, and extinguish".

Comment

You can call Microsoft evil all you want (I don't like them either to be honest), that doesn't change two simple facts:

1. Visual Studio is the most enhanced IDE as of today. There is nothing better. (GUI design, MSDN, ctrl + space for preview of (all) possible variables/functions/classes/namespaces [I've yet to see at least one IDE aside from VS and NetBeans that is able to do that])

2. C# is multi-platform, easy to use and still manages to give you a nice performance boost (compared to other languages like Java (slow, big thing) or C++ (too complex for GUI applications and if you don't know exactly what you are doing you get tons of memory leaks)). Also the documentation is pretty good.

Comment

I hope they reach their goal to port Banshee to Gtk# 3.
                Nice to hear they will improve Banshee, Pint, F-Spot, etc.

But honestly, why are Microsoft doing this?
                Why do they care about C# / .NET on Linux?

I think Microsoft should support open protocols, formats, specifications and standards and push for interoperability.
                But why spend time on improve the software of the competition? It does not make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                  You can call Microsoft evil all you want (I don't like them either to be honest), that doesn't change two simple facts:

1. Visual Studio is the most enhanced IDE as of today. There is nothing better. (GUI design, MSDN, ctrl + space for preview of (all) possible variables/functions/classes/namespaces [I've yet to see at least one IDE aside from VS and NetBeans that is able to do that])
                  KDevelop does the control + space thing, I like it's editor better than Visual Studio's, but it is definitely outclassed in the debugger department. Gui design is handled by QtDesigner but this is currently not integrated. Visual studio is a great IDE but I still think a lot of coders overrate it;

2. C# is multi-platform, easy to use and still manages to give you a nice performance boost (compared to other languages like Java (slow, big thing) or C++ (too complex for GUI applications and if you don't know exactly what you are doing you get tons of memory leaks)). Also the documentation is pretty good.
                  C# does suck less than java. As a user my preference goes something like this Native Compiled -> hybrid python / C -> C# + mono -> java. A platform like Qt gives you a lot of the productivity advances that C# + mono or .Net does plus you get native binaries. All in all C# is not a bad option so I don't want to hate on it - maybe one of these days somebody will release a mono app that I actually like.

Anyways Microsoft is too big to truly me a monolithic entity and if the C# .Net/mono folks there want to promote their tools on Gnome then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    But honestly, why are Microsoft doing this?
                    Why do they care about C# / .NET on Linux?
                    They don't, per se.

They care about being seen amongst developer communities to be good guys, though.

The NERD centre is a great conference venue, and is constantly running various events and things. Venues for things like this are *not* cheap, and Microsoft are playing good guys by giving a site with power and WiFi for free.

They don't care about Mono on GNOME at all - they're just being non-discriminatory about which FOSS developers are allowed to use their site.

Comment

Working...
                    X