Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.9 Goes Into Beta

Phoronix: KDE 4.9 Goes Into Beta

The first beta release of KDE SC 4.9 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My fixes in this one:
    • Blur behind System Settings tooltips
    • Blur behind Dolphin tooltips

It's subtle, but makes a noticeable difference in consistency. The tooltips from the panels already had those blur behind things.
    As for the mixed tooltip style. Currently there is a different style between the panel tooltips, system settings and dolphin. That's also about to change though that might not make it in a KDE 4.x release, depending on the changes required. It might as well be fixed in KDE 4.10 i'd give it a 50/50 chance. I'm currently recreating the tooltip internals to make it suitable for more then just the panel. This means that all tooltips will get the same visual style (like the current panel tooltips).

Just what i'm currently doing in KDE

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
      This means that all tooltips will get the same visual style (like the current panel tooltips). -- Just what i'm currently doing in KDE
      I remember thinking few days back that the tooltips look some how different and didn't realize it was the blur that had changed. I love it.
      Having the same tooltips everywhere is also a feature that I have been hoping to have just about as long as I have been using KDE so keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        I remember thinking few days back that the tooltips look some how different and didn't realize it was the blur that had changed. I love it.
        Having the same tooltips everywhere is also a feature that I have been hoping to have just about as long as I have been using KDE so keep up the good work
        Well, the tooltip situation is a quite interesting one.
        At first there what just Plasma::ToolTipManager (and friends) but that was a bit to limited. The KDE panels use that one. In dolphin the code for the tooltips got "forked" to meet dolphin's needs. Dolphin uses the QStyle tooltip background while Plasma uses the Plasma background. System settings then forked Dolphin's tooltip code to adjust it for their needs.. That's how we end up with 3 different tooltip types in probably the most used KDE apps. That deserved some cleaning up and that's what i'm doing along with defining the tooltips in QML

Comment

That deserved some cleaning up and that's what i'm doing along with defining the tooltips in QML
          If they are written in QML could they also be themed and animated easily? It would be nice to have different kind of frames (round, angular, sharp, smooth...) and same kind o behaviour as seen in the Plasma panel in all other applications where when the tooltip is already shown it will follow the mouse and show the next tooltip instantly without delay which then again could be animated nicely and so on and so forth

Comment

My fixes in this one:
            • Blur behind System Settings tooltips
            • Blur behind Dolphin tooltips

Hi!
            First of all, thanks for spending your time fixing bugs. One question, do you think there is any plan on fixing this one:

It's been around for a long time, and I can still see it in 4.8.3 (gentoo) and previous versions (Ubuntu).

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by jgardia View Post
              Hi!
              First of all, thanks for spending your time fixing bugs. One question, do you think there is any plan on fixing this one:

It's been around for a long time, and I can still see it in 4.8.3 (gentoo) and previous versions (Ubuntu).

Thanks again!
              That is Qt bug. Not KDE bug. It is fixed in Qt 4.8.1 (type dolphin --version in konsole and you'll see what Qt version you have).

Kubuntu 12.04 doesn't have this bug

Comment

Originally posted by schnelle View Post
                That is Qt bug. Not KDE bug. It is fixed in Qt 4.8.1 (type dolphin --version in konsole and you'll see what Qt version you have).

Kubuntu 12.04 doesn't have this bug
                Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately I can tell you that is not fixed in my notebook. I've got the following output from dolphin:

#dolphin --version
                Qt: 4.8.2
                KDE Development Platform: 4.8.3 (4.8.3)
                Dolphin: 2.0

No sure about Kubuntu, I'm a Gentoo user...

Comment

Originally posted by jgardia View Post
                  Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately I can tell you that is not fixed in my notebook. I've got the following output from dolphin:

#dolphin --version
                  Qt: 4.8.2
                  KDE Development Platform: 4.8.3 (4.8.3)
                  Dolphin: 2.0

No sure about Kubuntu, I'm a Gentoo user...
                  I was very active in that bug report. I even made videos how to reproduce the bug. Everyone in bug report have confirmed that bug is fixed (in Qt). You can try Kubuntu 12.04 liveCD and try to reproduce the bug. If you cannot reproduce it in Kubuntu then something is probably wrong with Gentoo packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    If they are written in QML could they also be themed and animated easily? It would be nice to have different kind of frames (round, angular, sharp, smooth...) and same kind o behaviour as seen in the Plasma panel in all other applications where when the tooltip is already shown it will follow the mouse and show the next tooltip instantly without delay which then again could be animated nicely and so on and so forth
                    The answer is both yes and no.

As for animations, yes, you can add those and i'm infact even adding some animations to make it look nicer.
                    As for theming in QML, yes to a certain degree. I'm using the Dialog component which is actually a Plasma Dialog class (internally) and you can't theme that through QML. However, here is where the beauty of Plasma comes in. You can make (or adjust) the plasma dialog theme to fit your needs for the dialog windows. Only downside is that it will work for _all_ plasma dialog windows, not just the tooltips.

Comment

Working...
                    X