No announcement yet.

Valve's Gabe Says "Yes" To Steam Linux This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is pretty much how Valve communicates, if they do it at all. Gabe has done it in the past, and so has Robin (the TF2 guy). For the naysayers: Valve already supports our platform by providing server software that works pretty good on any distribution, and it includes a (very simple, cli) steam client. I'm pretty sure they will just distribute a tarball or a small installer for the full-blown version of Steam that you can put into ~/bin if you want. A system-wide installation with distribution-specific packets doesn't really make a lot of sense since Steam itself and the games you install autoupdate. Also that's how they do it on OS X.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      It's a photoshop. I was the one who sent it to phoronix. I was trolling phoronix, but didn't think phoronix would actually make an article out of it. Anyway it's fake, sorry guys for trolling you

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        LOL. In that case Linux isn't open source either, what with all the binary drivers and applications you can run on it.
        "Linux" as a kernel is open source until you start putting binary blobs into it, yes. A distribution should not be considered open source if they cannot provide source code for all of the packages they personally are providing for that distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by kirillkh View Post
          - finally, marginalizing the idealistic community into small distro(s) - yeah, just like Gentoo - which doesn't have a choice but to continue using the subverted infrastructure (before it organizes itself enough to start replacing it with free alternatives). It's back to square one at that point.
          Gentoo is small and idealistic now? You're quite funny. Were you aware that "ChromeOS" is a Gentoo derivative? Google's ChomeOS, that is. They pay at least four Gentoo developers that I know of.

The "subversion of infrastructure" you mention is already happening, by the way, courtesy of Red Hat. What do you think SystemD is? Not that it affects Gentoo much; OpenRC has already done for years pretty much everything SystemD is still learning to do (and does it with far fewer lines of code).

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
            What I'm not sure is why we don't replace these blobs yet with reverse engineered code. Similar to what the nouveau guys are doing with nvidia. What is preventing this?
            Well, what are you waiting for? Get to work, bucko!

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
              What I'm not sure is why we don't replace these blobs yet with reverse engineered code. Similar to what the nouveau guys are doing with nvidia. What is preventing this?
              Nouveau doesn't replace the nvidia binary blob, with nouveau kernel module you can not use the closed source nvidia userspace driver.

Comment

Valve has literally no history of supporting open source or free software projects.
                Worse still, it looks very likely they'll require proprietary drivers for their games instead of contributing to free drivers.
                I don't like this one bit. This is not Id we're dealing with here; and Gabe is no benevolent, well-intentioned dictator like Carmack is.

Comment

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
                  This is not Id we're dealing with here; and Gabe is no benevolent, well-intentioned dictator like Carmack is.
                  The selfsame id that stated flat out that there wouldn't be a Linux client for Rage? Carmack invests most of his time in HMD development and rocketry these days if his Twitter feed is any indication.

Comment

Valve has literally no history of supporting open source or free software projects.
                    Worse still, it looks very likely they'll require proprietary drivers for their games instead of contributing to free drivers.
                    I don't like this one bit. This is not Id we're dealing with here; and Gabe is no benevolent, well-intentioned dictator like Carmack is.
                    Is that a fact? I would much rather people pressure GOG into joining the Linux scene then. Their policies fall totally in line with those of Linux.

Comment

I welcome Steam and Source coming to Linux - despite being closed and relying on DRM.

What you stated is a fact but that may change hopefully (funding of open-source drivers for instance).
                      On the other hand, Valve could have opened their (old) GoldSrc engine and I never understood why they didn't.
                      The Quake engine is GPL'ed for ages (GoldSrc is based on the Q1 engine) and they didn't add that much.
                      IIRC, a bone system, color depth enhancement and an advanced sound system.

Comment

Working...
                      X