Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetBSD: Will It Stand As A Light Desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD: Will It Stand As A Light Desktop?

Phoronix: NetBSD: Will It Stand As A Light Desktop?

Back in 2009 there was the announcement that there was going to be a new project out of the NetBSD camp aiming for am x86 NetBSD desktop system that would be fairly easy to use. It's been over three years and there hasn't been much work on the NetBSD desktop front, but now there comes word of a new NetBSD "light desktop" effort inspired by the LXDE Ubuntu derivative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will NetBSD stand a chance on the desktop?
    - Michael's tongue in cheek question of the day.

Comment

Michael stop trolling.
      NetBSD is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
        Michael stop trolling.
        NetBSD is dead.
        Yes, he's damn troll and he knows this. ;>

Comment

I fail to see how netbsd is dead... It moves even slower than debian but then that also can be an advantage.

Comment

Hmm

I don't know why I would want to use NetBSD instead of Linux as desktop.

Maybe NetBSD should focus more on the server where they can do some cool things a clean architecture.
            Hopefully something that benefits upstreams.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              I fail to see how netbsd is dead... It moves even slower than debian but then that also can be an advantage.
              Lack of clear goals. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-...8/30/0016.html

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                Thanks for the link.
                Interesting read!

Comment

That's a 6-year-old e-mail. I would hazard to suggest some things might have changed since then.

Sure, NetBSD moves slowly, and yes, some things could *definitely* use improvement (why in the world do they not have DRM modesetting yet?), but there are some definite advantages to NetBSD, namely, clean, portable, simple code. Maybe the project needs a good fork right now, but it seems a shame to let quality code like that rot, and NetBSD is still in common use (embedded Apple products, NASA, etc) where a simple OS is needed for something that needs to be reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
                    That's a 6-year-old e-mail. I would hazard to suggest some things might have changed since then.

Sure, NetBSD moves slowly, and yes, some things could *definitely* use improvement (why in the world do they not have DRM modesetting yet?), but there are some definite advantages to NetBSD, namely, clean, portable, simple code. Maybe the project needs a good fork right now, but it seems a shame to let quality code like that rot, and NetBSD is still in common use (embedded Apple products, NASA, etc) where a simple OS is needed for something that needs to be reliable.
                    Things are probably even worse.
                    There is fork OpenBSD, which is also clean, portable, simple code, but more secure.

Comment

Working...
                    X