AMD Catalyst Linux 12.6 Beta Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
    I really wish my laptop didn't over heat and shut down using open source drivers....... This could stop my updating kernel and distro.
    Exactly the same here! powersaving/whatever_keeping_cool of the radeon driver is crap!

With catalyst I never get the CPU to more than 50?C, but using the radeon driver... things change, and I start considering cooking on my laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
      I really wish my laptop didn't over heat and shut down using open source drivers....... This could stop my updating kernel and distro.
      Originally posted by Vighy
      Exactly the same here! powersaving/whatever_keeping_cool of the radeon driver is crap!

With catalyst I never get the CPU to more than 50?C, but using the radeon driver... things change, and I start considering cooking on my laptop...
      I recently filed a bug report for that, may be you can contribute to the solution: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50327

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
        I recently filed a bug report for that, may be you can contribute to the solution: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50327
        Whoa, that's wierd. Looks like you're seeing the extra heat coming from the CPU not the GPU. That might explain why we're still hearing reports of overheating laptops even though there should be enough GPU power management in the driver already to prevent that (via profiles).
        Test signature

Comment

Is there a direct contact at amd who is responsible for fglrx? i mean somebody like mtippett in the past? if there is somebody who followed him he should write in that forum as well, hiding in a corner does not make sense for me. is he(?) a man or a mouse?

Comment

well bridgman does not work on fglrx, but somebody most likely does...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Whoa, that's wierd. Looks like you're seeing the extra heat coming from the CPU not the GPU. That might explain why we're still hearing reports of overheating laptops even though there should be enough GPU power management in the driver already to prevent that (via profiles).
              Exactly. It is not the GPU, it is the CPU that is 15-20?C more heat. If you or your company can solve that I will stop complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                Exactly. It is not the GPU, it is the CPU that is 15-20?C more heat. If you or your company can solve that I will stop complaining.
                Is it possible a GPU fan isn't running or the GPU is producing the extra heat, and just happens to show up on the CPU because of the way your machine is blowing it around?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Is it possible a GPU fan isn't running or the GPU is producing the extra heat, and just happens to show up on the CPU because of the way your machine is blowing it around?
                  No, there is no extra fan for the GPU in this laptop.

Comment

I have a laptop with 4670hd, I trid today last git radeon drivers with last xorg and last kernel. It works like a charm but it overheats a lot ! I also get 10 -15 degrees more even on idle ...

And all of this even if I have tweaked my xorg and put the "low" profile for power management. I think these radeon drivers are just not ready for laptops. My battery time is half with radeon drivers compared to catalyst..

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan00 View Post
                      And all of this even if I have tweaked my xorg and put the "low" profile for power management. I think these radeon drivers are just not ready for laptops. My battery time is half with radeon drivers compared to catalyst..
                      You can't set profiles in the xorg conf; are you sure you are following :

ie :

- check to make sure the /sys paths mentioned below are present and tweak the commands if necessary
                      - echo "profile" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
                      - echo "low" or "mid" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X