Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know where all the negativity is coming from. Seems to me they are adopting a model that is similar to that of Nvidia at least for the windows releases. Which should mean less driver releases but also more meaningful changes with each update. And hopefully on the Linux this also means beta drivers with new kernel/x.org support shortly after those get updated. The only bummer is the lack of support for somewhat recent hardware. AMD really needs to start a proper legacy driver program, but at least those cards should work relatively well with the OSS driver.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Can it get more actual than a news on Phoronix?
      Yeah, I guess that's true
      Test signature

Comment

edit.

Instaling them right now, lets see if they work with my HD4850.

edit2.

Well, they do not work with my HD4850. Buing nvidia next time.
        Last edited by yaji; 31 May 2012, 03:56 PM.

Comment

calm down people, IF this ever happens, than not earlier than 2015 (remember the Source engine storyline...and that is still not over).

@Bridgman could you get into some detail on what is going on? Your first post in this thread reads like there is something happening, but not nearly as bad as Michael tries to show it
          Last edited by Detructor; 31 May 2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

As a former PC gamer turned Ubuntu user, I put my Llano hardware on craigslist and went with a Core i3 build, as Intel offered a superior experience all around. It truly is an odd day when Intel's graphics support exceeds that of a company that produces high-end graphics hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by yaji View Post
              http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/c...x86.x86_64.zip

edit.

Instaling them right now, lets see if they work with my HD4850.
              Wow how does one find these releases?

Comment

Meh.

Hardware support does fall out of even the kernel tree over time. Linux fibre channel no longer supports IP, I have some old hardware that current kernels no longer know what to do with. I don't think it is reasonable to demand AMD support old GPUs forever - the 2000/3000 series are how many years old?!

Buy a new video card every five years.

As for those people saying we need high performance open source drivers, don't hold your breath. I suspect there is a lot of I.P. located in the interface between the GPU silicon and the proprietary driver: that info is not going to be released to GPL.

Comment

For me AMD is dead on Linux now. New hardware will be Intel/Nvidia only in the future. If they don't want to support my 2 and a half years old laptop anymore I don't even consider to support them. Damn it that I just bought a new AMD graphics card a few months ago, if I would have known this shit at that time I definitely had bought Nvidia.
                  For me is the case "AMD on Linux" closed and will not be reopened.

Comment

I guess I am ok with my integrated HD 4250 until Ubuntu 12.10 comes. But then I am f*cked. I don't have enough money to bye a new card(I bought the new PC just last year) nor I would like to stay with old Ubuntu release. And OSS still not a option for me as integrated HD 4250 is already low performing graphics card, my Arch installation with OSS drivers don't support playing DOOM3, UT2004 or games with wine(I am not hardcore gamer but I play some).

Worst is with Catalyst 12.4 Windows driver is also broken in 7 with OpenGL games on my config. Looks like its a no game situation

Comment

And there is a new "AMD Issue Reporting Form" (including a Linux option).

Hardware:

AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
                      AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
                      AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
                      AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
                      AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series

Comment

Working...
                      X