Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Phoronix: AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Word is breaking today on the Windows-focused web-sites that AMD's Catalyst driver program has fundamentally changed. How does this impact Linux Catalyst users? Unfortunately, it will likely prove to be in a bad way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really... those close source drivers which Linus T. tolerates start to be a pain for everybody. Really. We need ultra high performance GNU GPL drivers for Linux and for *GOOD*. The DRM(BSD)/Mesa(MIT) is turning into a giga-kludge... what a mess, I don't perdict an happy ending, I'm scared.

Comment

Waiting for uid313 clever comment.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        Waiting for uid313 clever comment.
        I'm waiting for a quote, link, _anything_ to back up some of the claims in the (blog) post.

Comment

Wow, this sounds really bad!

I am glad that I don't own any AMD graphics card.
          I've actually been curious about getting AMD due to them providing documentation to open source developers, but have been hesitant to do so because AMD on Linux is too buggy and the fgrlx is not updated with new X.org releases.

But this news just make it all worse. I won't buy from AMD anything, neither CPU or GPU.

I currently use Nvidia and it works great. But in the future, I won't buy AMD or Nvidia, in the future I will be Intel CPU with integrated graphics because its cheaper to not buy graphics card and the Intel graphics performance is "good enough" even for some gaming.

Comment

You might want to wait for an actual announcement. I think you will find that the changes are in line with what folks here have been requesting / suggesting.
            Test signature

Comment

/sigh

I am going to have to keep an eye on this for sure. I run a Q6600 with a Radeon 3870. I am running F17 right now on the open drivers and for basic desktop stuff it is ok. For gaming not so much. I truly wish those "Open Source" drivers everyone kept screaming about would materialize soonish. It would seem "We have 2D up and running that is all I care about screw everyone else", this is a bunch of whoooey!

What if I wanted to do some Blender? Oh right, go get myself an Nvidia...period.. Well, it has been a while, but I suppose it may be time to go Nvidia again soonish. Kind of leaning towards Intel for my next upgrade CPU as well, instead of AMD. Getting tired of waiting on AMD to "Get it done". Intel seems to be getting with the program these days with Linux.

What I really would like to see is a good ARM 15 "desktop-ish" type system. I would grab one for word processing / internet stuff in a N.Y.-Minute!

Edit: @bridgman - Thank you for clarifying sir. I will keep an eye out.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                You might want to wait for an actual announcement. I think you will find that the changes are in line with what folks here have been requesting / suggesting.
                Where will such an announcement be placed?

Can it get more actual than a news on Phoronix?

Comment

- AMD has internally reaffirmed at this point they don't plan to support newer versions of the X.Org Server or the Linux kernel with the dropped R600/700 series support.
                  And with this AMD died for me for many years. Great Job!

Comment

Great,just great .I was hopping to get at least another AMD hd4870 card for crossfire but now i dont even care.I always tried to distanced myself from these rage trains but this is just too much! AMD you fcked up!

Comment

Working...
                    X