Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Of The New Valve Linux Employees Is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Of The New Valve Linux Employees Is...

Phoronix: One Of The New Valve Linux Employees Is...

Here's one of the names that many Linux gamers and Phoronix readers should know for his past open-source work, who since the beginning of May has been employed by Valve Software for their Linux enablement efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if we will see any work from Valve into X.org, Wayland, DRI, Mesa, Gallium3D, the OpenGL and OpenCL state tracker, etc.
    To the open-source radeonhd and nouveau drivers?

When will Steam come to Linux?

I guess lots of their Linux developers will be working on the Streambox.

Comment

Damn your puns, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I wonder if we will see any work from Valve into X.org, Wayland, DRI, Mesa, Gallium3D, the OpenGL and OpenCL state tracker, etc.
        To the open-source radeonhd and nouveau drivers?
        I might be naive - but why not additionally sponsoring some community projects of the open graphics stack?
        That would be really great and much appreciated. I'm sure that is excellent publicity even if they restrict
        their support to tasks which aim at getting their games running well on the open drivers.

Comment

I guess lots of their Linux developers will be working on the Streambox.
          I need you to stop talking about the "Steam box". If you insist on talking about it, you have to provide some references.

I personally can't see a valve/steam game console materializing in the near future. It's been nowhere mentioned (as far as I know) and wouldn't make much sense for most of Valve's current games. Time for you to back up your statements.

I agree that it wouldn't necessarily be outright stupid to create yet another gaming console, I just can't see it happening right now nor being Valve's current strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
            I need you to stop talking about the "Steam box".

He's free to talk about what he wants here. Just as I am free to talk about beer
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Good luck

with new job dude!
              Linux community is with you on that!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                I might be naive - but why not additionally sponsoring some community projects of the open graphics stack?
                That would be really great and much appreciated. I'm sure that is excellent publicity even if they restrict
                their support to tasks which aim at getting their games running well on the open drivers.
                I agree.
                But, I guess they will just port their stuff.
                But one could hope for more!

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                He's free to talk about what he wants here. Just as I am free to talk about beer
                Okay, I'll stop talking about the SteamBox. I'll never mention it again.
                Then you stop talking about beer? Please!

Comment

I agree.
                  But, I guess they will just port their stuff.
                  But one could hope for more!
                  Your guess will likely prove to be incorrect.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Valve will be dominating the scene soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X