Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Open-Source Snapdragon Driver Wasn't Killed

Phoronix: The Open-Source Snapdragon Driver Wasn't Killed

Back in April I wrote about an open-source graphics driver for Qualcomm's Snapdragon. This reverse-engineered driver project was actually started by an employee of Texas Instruments -- a competitor to Qualcomm -- but was being done since it was some of the only ARM hardware out there where the developer wasn't tainted by NDAs. Since Phoronix delivered the announcement of this Snapdragon GPU driver, there hasn't been much news to report...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've heard from others that Texas Instruments apparently isn't too happy about the whole situation
    Why aren't they happy? It sounds like TI have some agenda against open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Why aren't they happy? It sounds like TI have some agenda against open source drivers.
      Because he is writing one for Qualcomm.

But imho, TI should stfu. If they have problems with it, then let him write a open source device driver for TI, I think he would rather do that.

Or TI could try get a guy from Qualcomm to write a driver for TI.

Comment

Which is best supported?

Which is best supported?
        * Samsung Exynos
        * Qualcomm SnapDragon
        * TI OMAP
        * Other?

Comment

Of those, Exynos has the best mainline support.

On the other hand, if you go by the percentage of how much of the chip is supported, then the best just might be Via WM8505 (the chips you mention use blobs for their 3d. 8505 has no 3d )

Comment

Working...
          X