Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon OpenCL On Linux - Is It That Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Augustiner Lagerbier Hell, enjoyed ~30 bottles with my friends this weekend Very nice beer! Btw, also try Erdinger Weissbier, I think it is even better

Comment

More so include a baseline non GPU accelerated reference value in your graph.

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Now if you actually compare the results with the windows version of Catalyst you might be able to determine if the Linux driver are better or worse

Without such comparisons you can't confirm or dispute AMD's comments
      Yep, the graphs are pretty much useless.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I use NoScript and AdBlock Plus, and I do block all ads on Phoronix.
        I will not whitelist ads on Phoronix. I will continue block all ads.

Phoronix without ads blocked have popups, full screen ads, flash ads, and all kinds of stupid shit that makes the site slow as hell to load, the browser lock up, etc.
        If it were unobtrusive lightweight text ads like Google AdWords, maybe I wouldn't block that.

P.S. I feel sorry for all the premium subscribers who have to put up with all beer picture crap.
        P.P.S. Maybe premium subscribers should have an option not to have beer crap in the articles?
        Premium subscriber here (in fact, I just auto-renewed my subscription again today), and :

1. I very proudly / angrily block all ads on Phoronix, due to the 4+ years problem that Michael refuses to fix that the site forgets your login after 15 minutes and you have to go to the forums and then back to get rid of the ads via AdBlock. Michael talks about Radeon developers "still" not doing this or that after a few months; try fixing a simple authentication problem that's been around since the inception of this site!
        2. I really dislike the beer stuff, but I can't say I hate it. I skip right past it usually, and if there are tidbits in the middle that might be relevant to Linux / hardware / gaming, I miss those bits... oh well. I'd rather miss them than have to read through all this beer crap, as you called it. Anyway, the issue isn't such a big deal to me, because if it were, I'd cancel my premium and stop visiting the site. I dislike it but it isn't a deal-breaker for me.

Michael's a necessary evil. I need to get my fix of the essence of his news items, many of which are meaningful to me; but at the same time, the presentation and the beer crap really degrade the quality of the site. So the overall Phoronix experience, to me, is like a shit-covered diamond: I put on rubber gloves and claw through the shit to get to the diamond. Sad that he has to drop a turd every time he gives us a diamond instead of just giving us diamonds, but that's life.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          Now if you actually compare the results with the windows version of Catalyst you might be able to determine if the Linux driver are better or worse

Without such comparisons you can't confirm or dispute AMD's comments
          Best comment of the thread.

Michael, please do proper testings instead of this useless crap. Less beer and better geeking, even Linus Torvalds did it better in his beerware days

Comment

this is not about performance issue windows vs linux. i compared LuxMark windows vs linux and linux have slightly better results (less than 5%). what is bigger problem is missing support for zero copy, OpenVideo eg video decoding/encoding thgrouth OpenCL, not expose full memory size on linux (only half of memory on linux). this are AMD OpenCL problems on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              this is not about performance issue windows vs linux. i compared LuxMark windows vs linux and linux have slightly better results (less than 5%). what is bigger problem is missing support for zero copy, OpenVideo eg video decoding/encoding thgrouth OpenCL, not expose full memory size on linux (only half of memory on linux). this are AMD OpenCL problems on Linux.
              If anyone wants Michael to talk about this, they better create a blog post he can link to. It's not going to happen otherwise.

Comment

Working...
              X