Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.4 Kernel Strengthens Intel Graphics

Phoronix: Linux 3.4 Kernel Strengthens Intel Graphics

Up as an extra article from Munich is a comparison of Intel DRM drivers on recent Linux kernel releases while using Core i7 Ivy Bridge hardware. With the Linux 3.4 kernel there are definite Intel Linux graphics performance gains.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What concerns me is that according to RWT, Intel is in the midst of re-engineering their driver for Windows (less abstractions so closely tied to hardware and os, and offload more to gpu), and I don't think this is going to happen with Linux. That is, the performance gulf between new Intel chips on LInux and Windows is only going to increase.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      What concerns me is that according to RWT, Intel is in the midst of re-engineering their driver for Windows (less abstractions so closely tied to hardware and os, and offload more to gpu), and I don't think this is going to happen with Linux. That is, the performance gulf between new Intel chips on LInux and Windows is only going to increase.
      Don't worry; you can get AMD Fusion for less money compared to what it costs to get equal 3D performance with a Core i3 and a dedicated Radeon card.

Sucks to be Intel right now...

Comment

Working...
      X